Algae on my sponge

k8eydid

Does anyone know a safe way to remove algae from a ball sponge? Our orange sponge has been in the tank for two weeks and today I see there is a small amount of algae (brown, not hair) on it. It is also on some of the yellow polyps that emerge from it to feed. Someone suggested that I use a soft toothbrush to remove it. I don't want to cause any damage, or worse yet, kill it. :confused: :help:

traib

Move the sponge to a dark area of the aquarium and leave it there. Sponges live in the shadows in nature or at depths where light is weak.

k8eydid

Triab,
Thanks for the reply. Will the algae come off once I move the sponge into the shadows? It is already at the bottom of the tank.
Kate

traib

Yes algae can't grow in the dark. Don't try to rub it off or remove it. If you have hermit crabs they could clean it up. But it must stay in a dark place to survive.

k8eydid

Thanks for the advise. We are moving "bob" to the dark side. I have about a dozen small red legged hermits, an emerald crab, a red crab, a coral banded and a cleaner shrimp. I hope these guys do their job and clean him up.:D