Algae on substrate

jpgnmt

I replaced my bulbs about a month ago and it seems to be growing algae on the substrate like crazy. I put the gravel vac in each week for the water change and by the next day it starts growing so this is what it looks like at the end of the week. My research has pointed me toward a phosphate reactor. Any thoughts if this is the right direction?
Thanks in advance,
jpgnmt

langlandjoshua

I would like to start by saying your mushrooms in your tank look great. But the main issue is that algae lives off the carbon dioxide emitions from anything liveing in your tank. It also lives off of the light in your tank. Since you replaced your old lightbulbs you have more light. So ince there are two main limits to the population of the algea and they multiply so quickly your vacuming is just slowing it down a bit. It will just grow back. I have a similar issue with my tank. I ordered the SWF cleaner kit for my issue. That way I can let my snails and lettuce Nutibranch do the cleaning for me. Another way I heard is making a fabric or ruffed up plastic surface for the algea to grow on. The idea is that by making a pitted surface you give the algea an easier place to grow on. With that you make sure it has plenty of light, and adirect water current so if you have anoverflow you could have it run from there onto your algae growing patch and into your tank. Any high powered light (i.e. reptile heat lamp) should do. So you make this surface easier for the algea to live on and since there can only be so much algae for your tank you control that population on your fabric, ruffed up plastic. You should let it grow on there for about two weeks. Then rinse it off, dont scrub it. Over time it will grow more thick and you can use a rag or after much more time something stronger.
Here are some links that can explain it better than I can, they also have some other ideas:
http://www.aquariumpros.com/faqpro/a...shtml#05200260 ( should answer any extra questions)
http://www.amdareef.com/ho_algae.htm
http://garf.org/reefjanitors.html
Good luck with your tank I hope these help

jpgnmt

Thanks for the reply, those are great articles. They make you stop and think about these little ecosystems we are trying to maintain. This photo is after I cleaned this morning.

flower

Let me understand you...Are you saying that you use a gravel vacuum on your sand? Nobody does that in saltwater. The use a CUC (clean up crew) of snails, hermit crabs and serpent or brittle stars. Sandsifting stars or cucumbers...a sandsifting goby..never a gravel vacuum.

jpgnmt

I don't have sand but a fairly coarse crushed coral. I can only access about 30% of it because of the rock but have used a large mouth on the end of my siphon hose for almost three years now. I started with a fair sized CUC and have added snails in the last while. They tend to get stuck between the rock and glass and become worm food. My LFS hasn't had any luck getting crabs for quite a while now. Want is the disadvantage of partial gravel cleaning?

cam78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/379303/algae-on-substrate#post_3295976

Let me understand you...Are you saying that you use a gravel vacuum on your sand? Nobody does that in saltwater. The use a CUC (clean up crew) of snails, hermit crabs and serpent or brittle stars. Sandsifting stars or cucumbers...a sandsifting goby..never a gravel vacuum.
I respectfully disagree Flower. I knopw many very experienced hobbiest that siphon the top portion of the substrate. I also have been doing that because I like my substrate clean. A clean up crew that will keep your substrate as clean as a siphon does not exist (i don't think). I was always told to just clean the top portion not to stir everything up from the bottom. Thoughts?

S

smartorl

I also know several people who vaccum their substrate. I have never considered it because I always try to address the issue, not put a band aid on it. Not meaning any offense to anyone

I am more of a naturalist, I like to find balance in my tank naturally (or as close to it as you can be with a block of water).

What is your flow like? If it were my tank, I would increase the flow directed at the sand bed. Obviously, not blasting it to the point of sand displacement but your crushed coral will pretty much stay put.

I would also as suggested above, beef up your cuc. Nassarius snails are especially awesome for keeping the sandbed clean.

How many hours a day are you running the lights? With the new bulbs, are you maybe running them longer? Sounds dumb but new bulbs are so exciting, it breathes new life into the tank (at least for me) so I find myself leaving the lights on longer enjoying it. I am a dork. Did you change out all the bulbs at once? It is recommended to change out a bulb at a time to avoid "shocking" the tank. The more intense light can mess with normally stable system.