Algae Problem

salt55

Hi everyone...I am new to the board and have a question. I have had my 55 gallon FO tank set up for about 6-7 months now. Recently i have been having green and red algae problems. My Phosphates are very high but my tap water tests 0. I dont think i am over feeding. All i have right now is a Yellow tailed blue damsel, a picasso trigger and a snowflake moray. I read that some flake foods are high in phosphates. I use Wardley's Total Color Marine Gourmet Blend. Does anyone know anything about this particular kind? I also feed my eel Hikari frozen krill. I have a Fluval 404 canister, and a Seaclone Skimmer. Water changes are done every 2 weeks. My lighting consists of two 24" Powerglo bulbs and a 48" Marine glo bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fishswim

Have you checked your nitrates, that can cause it also. I had my fluval hooked up and had nitrate problems till I took it down.
Your flake food, and the waste from your moray might be contributing a lot towards your phosphate problem. Wardley's flake is does contain as much phosphates as most flakes.

fishswim

I have tried phosphate removers before, and I have had a lot of luck with them. Some people don't though.

dad

I don't recomend Phosphate removers. read too many things bad about them.
I recomend regular water changes and lowering your feeding.
overfeeding can raise phosphate levels.

salt55

Thanks for the reply, i have checked my nitrates they are near 0. There could be alot of waste from the krill i feed the eel. He eats alot but he cant get everything. will a clean up crew help with wasted krill? I thought about getting one but havent yet.

dad

I am not formiliar with FO tanks.
They have a FO tank discusion board here.
Maybe a mod will redirect you to them?
but if the eel cannot eat all that you feed him, that may be a good start.
start regulating your feedings. time your feedings. if there is any food left after 4 minutes?, your feeding too much.
also look around to find out when you should feed. twice a day, once a day, every other day etc.
sorry I cannot help out more.

templar

A cleanup crew would just be a snack for your eel and trigger. Afraid your the cleanup crew on that tank.

burnnspy

Livestock waste has nothing to do with Phosphates. They are in the food since your water test 0 or it is added in another way(chemically).
What do you add to the tank?
If you have a protien skimmer consider dosing Kalkwasser, it helps precipitate phosphate so the skimmer can remove it. Pads and sponges are useless unles you find the source of the phosphates and remove it first.
Increasing the water changes to every week will help lower phosphates also.
BurnNSpy

salt55

Other than my Instant Ocean Sea Salt i recently added some Kent Marine Ammonia Detox and some Essential Elements...but this was post outbreak. What is the Kalkwasser and what does it do?? Thanks for all the replies

burnnspy

Instant Ocean is good.
Why are you adding Annonia detox?
Kalkwasser is used to maintain calcium levels and aid is phosphate removal.
BurnNSpy

dburr

How do you know your tap water is 0. Most tap water has phosphate, I would test it again at the LFS or invest in a DI or RO unit. :rolleyes:

salt55

I tested my tap water shortly after discovering my phosphates were so high. There were a small amount but nothing compared to how much the tank read.

burnnspy

With no way to remove phosphates, it will buildup overtime since phosphates do not evaporate.
BurnNSpy

salt55

So do you think that the majority of it has come from the tap since that is what i filled it with and have been since? You think it just built up until it is bad now? Is an RO unit worth the money at this point or should i try other methods to reduce? Thanks alot for the replies BTW.

flydan

Hey,
I also believe that using tap water is the cause of your troubles. There are possible trace elements of copper and silicates in the water that build up over time. I'd go with several good water changes and adding RO water.
Dan'l

dburr

I use a di unit for my well water, it works great. I had the same problem. DI units are cheap but you need to replace the cartrige every so often. :D