algae problem

bking

OK, thought I was more advanced at this than I am, I guess,,for xmas, I got a power compact light,,all of a sudden, I can't keep up with the algae growth, it's almost to a point where I want to scrap it,,won't happen, but it is really growing fast....I know I need a bigger clean up crew, but,,is there something out there or a lighting tech that would help,,just looking for a little advice,,,tank ....46 gal bowfront,,mud filter, and a penguin system also,, prob too many fish,,1 curley anemone,,cb shrimp,,1 picaso trigger, clarki clown, 2 yellow tail damsels,2 convict looking damsels, neon dottyback..and a neon damsel....any suggestions would be nice...

bking

yeah, i was going to move the trigger to another tank,, not sure of the lighting questions, but I will chk it out,,,I have recently switched to ro/di water,,so, i'm hoping that will help...but my water levels seem acceptable...I guess I'll work at getting rid of several fish, and try to maintain it like that,,thanks

beaslbob

It is very common to have increased algae when upgrading the lighting. The extra light allowed to algae to grow and more fully process the waste products in the system (nitrates/ phosphates).
The best way of controlling algae is to add plant life you desire. The desirable plant life will consume the nutrients and starve the uglies. You may have to remove the uglies to get the desirable started and ahead of them. Once that happens then minor feeding and lighting adjustments may be needed every so often. But once all the nutrients are being consumed by the desirables, the uglies will be a thing of the past.

bking

the way my mud filter works is with calupra(not sure if that is spelled right),, what other plant life can I get in there

bking

I have just started pruning and removing,,,so, I'm hoping that helps a little...I guess til then, it's more scrubbing the sides of the tank everyday

beaslbob

As I understand a mud filter it is basically a seperate filter box. If you already have caulpera there then you can simply turn you lights off in the display to kill off the algae. But that can be rather drastic maybe reduced duration will slow the algae growth and allow the caulpera in the filter box catch up.
You also may not have enough volumn in the filter box to hold enough caulpera. And of course the caulpera needs to have it's own lighting. The way you can adjust the filter lighting and display lighting seperately.
sounds like your filter is basically a small refug.

bking

I think you are right about that...I have a seperate light for the filter....so, can I leave the light off in my main tank , and that will take care of it?

beaslbob

Originally posted by bking
I think you are right about that...I have a seperate light for the filter....so, can I leave the light off in my main tank , and that will take care of it?

On a fish only system definate yes. Corals are a different story. But even corals can stand a few days in the dark.
If you turn your lights off in about a week all the display algae will be very much reduced of not gone althgether. Of course you still have to feed the fish but maybe room lighting will be sufficient for the fish to see the food.
After the algae is gone try various durations of the display lighting do see where the algae is controlled. Like try half duration. If you get algae then cut that in half. If no algae the increase the duration say 50%. and repeat that process until you have the maximum duration lighting with acceptable or no algae. Kinda a balancing act to insure the caulpera is controlling the tank.
BTW once you get there I think you will find your system requires very little maintenance.

bking

no, I have been scared to try them,, don't want to kill one, and not sure if my water is right yet...trying the anemone first

dreeves

Shutting your lights off is not an answer to your problem...
Controlling the nutrients, circulation, RO/DI and a cleanup crew is the answer...
How you do each of these is your decision...Kip gave you excellent advice above...he is one to follow.

beaslbob

another thing to do is to place the caulpera you remove from the filter in the display. that way you have more caulpera in the system. Your fish will probably eat it but at least it was there for awhile.
Also a less drastic light reduction say 75% duration may help also.

jedininja

Originally posted by bking
no, I have been scared to try them,, don't want to kill one, and not sure if my water is right yet...trying the anemone first

Not entire on subject, but this just caught my eye. Most sea anenomes are actually much harder to care for than corals. I would not go with a sea anenome first, and if you get one, pick it very wisely. Most anenomes dont do well under PC lighting.

bking

thanks for the advise, but unfortunatly, i already have a curley que anemone,,it is doing well so far,, but after looking at the pics on this site, I think I am doing something wrong,,,I don't have a lot of the colors on my rocks and such,,and my crushed coral and sand bottom is always in need of cleaning... I'm kinda of lost...what would be a nice coral to get,,, and another dumb question,,,do they get covered in algae like everything else does,,,

beaslbob

the only dumb question is the one not asked.
I have very very limited experience with annemones. But I have never seen one with algae on it.

jedininja

Take care of the algae probelm before you get anything else. Find the source of nitrates and phosphates such as tap water and/or heavy feeding. Corals are much more sensitive than fish. and most anenomes are more sensitive than corals.