Algae Question

shawnhardy

I used to have brown diatom growth in my tank. Recently, I noticed that the algae growing on the walls of my tank changed to green. Does this mean anything?
Does it tell me that my tank is maturing or just that the higher nitrate level is supporting the green algae or something else?
Also, on one of my side walls, I noticed 2 circles about a half inch in diameter. They are a purple/pink/red. Could this be coralline algae or should I be concerned that it is cyanobacteria? My lighting is the standard strip light. I have no live rock. I did recently add some snails that appeared to have some coralline on their shells. Could that possibly be the source if it is coralline?
Let me know what you think about these questions.

liquidskys

if its coralline.. that could have defaintly been the soarce..
i added a turbo snail that was covered with coralline and suddenly had a few coralline growths.. :D
also from what I have read and from past experience..
the brown algea turns to green.. and then to red/purple as the tank matures and finishes cycling..
how old is the tank?
you really need to upgrade you lighting, trust me on this one..
its the most important thing you could do at this point,
I highly recommened you upgradding you light before anything else.. you will be VERY glad you did in the future!! :yes:
:happyfish

shawnhardy

The tank is about 6 months old. I only plan to upgrade my lighting if I decide I want to add some corals. At this point, I like having certain fish that are not reef safe more than any corals. Do you believe there are other benefits of better lighting? Nothing in my tank at this point requires any higher lighting.

beanpole12

Even if you don't change the type of lighting from strip lights I would upgrade bulbs. I have a fowlr and just bought some 20k bulbs to replace the stock ones and it made a huge difference in my tank. The new bulbs made the old ones look like they were yellow. Now my tank is super clear and I can see the colors in my fish and lr sooo much better. I think it was $22 to upgrade bulbs and well worth it.

liquidskys

Originally posted by shawnhardy
Do you believe there are other benefits of better lighting? Nothing in my tank at this point requires any higher lighting.

well I have been told that the lower wattage from the regular strip lights actually causes alot of unwanted algea growth. Like that of hair algea, red slim algea ect.
Like was said at the very least upgrade the stock bulbs.
I didnt realize you had a FO tank. In that case i belive you are safe with just a 50/50 strip light as long as you keep up with the algea growth so it doesnt get too out of hand!
May i ask why you dont want to atleast add LR?
Just curious, i have a few buddies that refuse to put LR in their tank and it just amazes me cause there are sooo many awsome aspects of having LR and very few negatives (actually there are no negative i dont belive!) :D

shawnhardy

There are 4 reasons that I have not added live rock:
1. Cost. I have a 90 gallon tank. 1.5 lbs / gal @ $6.99 = $$$$$$
2. I know exactly what is in my tank. I do not have any hitchhikers that I don't know about like mantis shrimp that could kill my fish at night
3. I was afraid that I would have to use copper in my tank. Everyone talks about how easy their fish get diseases and since I was new to the hobby, was lacking confidence that I would not have to use it. So far so good though. None of my fish have gotten sick
4. Before I knew much about the hobby, I bought some fake rock that is painted to resemble live rock and it was not the cheapest
Looking back, I probably should have put that money into live rock. I found this site after making some initial purchases. The book I read before starting did not stress live rock enough for me to think it is as important as it is. I know better now and recommend live rock to most people getting into the hobby.
Anyone have an opinion if the little circles are coralline?

bigarn

From your description I'd say yes, and this is a good thing.
I've heard that coralline algae grows better in darker areas of the tankand under less bright lights.:D