Algae Question

lm

I have a 75 gallon reef that has been running for approx. 8 months now; I have live rock with plenty of purple coraline algea growing. But lately I have been getting lots or green algea buildup on the glass. I had a clean up crew but apparently they have died or are falling behind. So my question is: What should I get and how many to rid this problem. I have no Problem except on the side and back glass (as of now) where the green is taking over before the purple coraline can. Thanks for all imput. :help:

hirock

Checklist of what could be the cause:
1). Chem levels in the system (Alk/Calc/Mag)
2). Not using RO/DI water
3). Excessive or uneaten food in the system (DOC's)
4). High polluters in the community (Poop)
5). Inadequate lighting or loss of light spectrum (Bulb age)
6). High dissloved CO2 content present
7). Dosing too much Iodine (Algaes consume the stuff)
8). Nitrate/Nitrite in abundance (DOC's)
9). PO4's (phosphate) above 0.03
10). Inadequate surface or water movement (flow rate)
I'm sure that there are other reasons why this may happen, but I have outlined some of the more "possible" causes for the problem.
I'm sure others will pipe in and give you their synopsis about what causes algae growth.
HTH :happyfish

lm

All levels check out ok;water movement is very good (2-1200 maxi jets),only feed once a day and they eat everything( done this feeding since the beginning). Do not dose Iodine,just feed DT's every so often. Will that cause this?? Also I only use bottled water from the store from day one.

beaslbob

Originally posted by LM
All levels check out ok;water movement is very good (2-1200 maxi jets),only feed once a day and they eat everything( done this feeding since the beginning). Do not dose Iodine,just feed DT's every so often. Will that cause this?? Also I only use bottled water from the store from day one.

Basically, the green is helping consume the ammonia, nitrates, phosphates and carbon dioxide. You could try adjusting lighting but basically you will have to encourage the corraline to increase at the expense of the green. Any possibility the green is green corraline? Just keep at it and hopefully things will get better.

lm

The bulbs are 8 months old. How would that effect the growth? I thought the newer the bulbs the more problem algea, not the weaker.