Algae scrubber help

snakeblitz33

so I usually can figure things out on my own... But this time I'm at a loss. I'm using a rio 1700 pump for a good flow rate. I'm using a 23w cfl on 12 inch reflectors. The screen is a 10 by 12. It's lit on both sides. I barely roughed up the screen before I installed it. The nitrate and phosphate readings in the tank is zero. This is a false negative caused by the amount of algae in the display tank. So... Clean water but an algae problem.
So here's the problem... Only half or less then half of the screen is growing anything. The whole screen is equally lighted. The flow rate is also equal on all sides and the water flow is even mr coming off like a waterfall. I think the problem is that the screen isn't rough enough. I haven't had this problem before on other scrubbers. The tank is just started.
Tank stats.
110g tank
2x250 w mh lights 2 years old I'm trying to get her to replace the lights soon.
Two clowns
Four chromis
Two firefish gobies
Clean up crew... Not near enough.

2quills

Yeah, gotta rough up the screen real good man, you know this.

That pump seems pretty strong, do you have a valve on it? Maybe once you rough up the screen a little more you can turn the flow down just a bit untill the screen gets seeded real good and then turn it back up.

snakeblitz33

I'll rough up a new screen completely... make it like cactus, and then install the new screen on Monday. Is there any other thoughts on what could be wrong?

snakeblitz33

Yeah. I know. It's the way I made it. I figured it was the problem. The pump is strong but I have it on a valve and cut back to the right flow. Maybe next week I'll post results

yerboy

yeah in the pic you can see there is little to no algae in the highflow portion of the screen

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I gotta probably get a new really rough screen on there. I didn't take the time to rough it up enough because the store was ready to close just before I had it set up. UGH! I hate time constraints. I probably should have brought a really roughed up screen when I had went to set it up in the first place... oh well, you live and you learn.