Algae troubles

b-rock77

Alright, so i have had my aquarium for about 1 year now and every thing has been going well until recently when algae would develop daily on the walls of the aquarium and on the live rock. I have been cleaning the glass daily and actually hand washed each rock to remove the massive algae plants that are so big you can see the oxygen bubbles from photosynthesis at the end of each day. Its driving me crazy and looks terrible, any ideas? I have already tried buying a protein skimmer, I use RO water, bought a new cleaning crew, what else can i try???????:party

natclanwy

What are your levels and what type of algea do you have? Bubbles on the algae sounds like cyano bacteria which is caused by a combination of high nitrates and poor flow.

candycane

Color, structure, length, consistency? There is a small but VERY informative book called Algae: A problem solver guide that was written by Julian Sprung. You might want to get a copy just to have it on hand for the future and this alga.

mr_x

wow...i've not experienced that type yet, but have you considered the age of your bulbs? when did you replace them last?

nycbob

wow massive bubble algae! dont pop it since it will spread faster. too much nutrients in water. r u using tap water? get a few emerald crabs to control bubble algae.

b-rock77

I replaced one bulb 4 months ago and one a year ago. I just bought 10 turbo snails and 10 hermits (I have a 30G tank) in the hopes that they could take care of it. I use RO water from the LFS. I also just bought a protein skimmer. I am fresh out of ideas

nycbob

turbo snails and hermit wont eat bubble algae. i hv had success wirh emerald crabs in the past.

devil dog

Turn your lights on for only 3 hours a day and do some water changes. And when you’re doing you water changes poll off as much as you can and keep your light on for only 3 hours for at least a week... good luck

nuz

Yeah... I would recommend cutting back on the lighting since that is mainly what algae thrives on.

spanko

That is the most amazing bubble algae garden I have ever seen.
Careful so to not break bubbles, manual removal.
Aggressive water changes of at least 20% per week.
Reduce feeding.
2 - 4 day lights out period.
Skim wet.
Man, if I did not say it before that is the most bubble algae I have ever seen.

scopus tang

What are your levels on nitrates and phosphates? Those two nutrients and your lighting are what is going to affect algae growth. Reducing lighting isn't going to help unless you figure out where your nutrients are coming into the system from. Even if it disappears, it will simply come back. Are you overfeeding? Do you have a CC base or live sand? What type of lights are you running PC or T5s? If your running PC, you need to replace the bulb that is one year old ~ that alone will promote algae growth. I had a tank overgrown with bubble algae (not the same type, but similiar), and I simply removed the fish and stopped feeding it. In a few months, the algae had completely disappeared. Just a few thoughts.

tinmanny

I realy do not think that is bubble algae but hair and fuzzy algae it traps air as it rises also air in the water and grows around it you should scrub one rock a day and run your filter at max or skim at max whatever you have that sometimes grows on the back of my tank it is usualy caused by high phosphates scrub and clean every day change water about every 4 days about 20% and you will beat it
Good luck