Algae turning into.....

I have a bad case of the brown algae all over my substrate and l/r. It's now turned dark brown almost red and slimmy looking, It's so bad now that it's waving in the wind.
I recently added another powerhead (802) and my other is a powersweep (214). I have a 125 gal. tank and that should be enough water movement.
What kind of algae is this and what can I do besides water changes(that's what I'm doing).

tacks

How long has the tank been set up? What are you using for your water source? What kind of lighting do you have?
I also have a 125g and the same thing happened to me. After upgrading to VHO and using an RO unit, the problem went away. The brown stuff is diatoms which is a sign that your tank is maturing (it's a stage all tanks go through). You could also try getting a clean up crew.

It's been running for almost a year now. I started out with tap water. I've been doing constant water changes with RO water since. As for lighting it's the standard single tube fixture that came with the tank. I haven't got around to changing them yet. What type of sufficient lighting could I get with just the single tube fixtures?

tacks

You should definately change the bulb if not the ballast as well. My guess is if it's the lighting that came with the tank it's a tar ballast. Sounds like you don't have the right spectrum which is why your getting the red slimy stuff. You should at a minimum, change the bulb to a 50/50. I would also invest in an electronic ballast (sounds like you have a tar ballast). Good Luck and I hope this works.

Tacks how can I find out what type of ballast I have? Also what kind of electric ballast should I be looking at? I'm going to get the 50/50's tomorrow. Thanks

tacks

IceCap makes a good ballast. I have the 660 and the 430 on mine. If your bulb is NO (normal output) and it came with the tank, you probably have a tar ballast. It should say right on the ballast. Hope this helps...