algae

sting_ray29

I have had my tank (55g) w/45 ilbs live rock) that has been cycling since the middle of july... For a while it had a brown, rust algae in the tank but now it has green algea in it and a little purple. Is this good?

shanev

Yes it is. The brown rust color was diatoms, very common for new tanks,. If it is gone and you are starting to see green and purple it most likely corraline algae which is desirable.

nm reef

Couple of questions:
1- what is the status of your cycle...include latest results for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/temp/ph/specific gravity
2- describe the green and purple algae you are curious about.
based on the info you provide folks may be better able to help you progress...best of luck.:cool:

sting_ray29

last time I checked levels where all good and algea is a green, light forest green..the purple is a little red, well not really... Light purple..

memnoch

The purple algae is coralline, the green is probably not. The "rust" was definately diatoms. Diatoms feed off of silica and phosphates in your water supply if i'm not mistaken, once this fuel is exhausted they die off and the other more colorful algae begin to propagate. Once you finish cycling the green fuzzy algae will dissappear and coralline will take over, which is what you want. Best of luck, you're off to a good start.:rolleyes:

imo

I would say if this green and purple/red algae came right after your diatom bloom (brown algae), you are most likely dealing with a hair and red slime algae outbreak. It is pretty common after about 3-4 months in a new tank. How long has your tank been setup? What is your nitrate level?

imo

Sorry, I see your tank has been up since July. I would still assume it is red slime algae (not good). Take your hand and see if it is a slimey substance (red slime) or if it is a hard rock (coraline) like substance.

sting_ray29

I cleaned the tank out, and the algea seems to come back fairly quick... Its definitely not red, all green accept a purple in a couple of spots... if these pics aren't too big you can take a look at my tank.. I am looking to get some fish, any suggestions for a rookie? I have only had a clown and 2 damino damsels, the damsels died from ich and the clown from taking a look inside my skimmer...