algae

E

earl

I wouid like to know what i should do about brown algae in my tank? should I bleach the coral outside of the tank ofcourse? or should I wait till it turns green and then goes away or does it ever go away?This algae has been in my tank for 7 months and it has not turned green it might get a patch of green then it turns back brown. what should I do?

ja

Did you check your phosphates in the water. Sometimes high levels increase the growth of brown algae. Also high nitrates are sometimes a factor. There is phosphate remover media you can buy. Just put directly in the water flow, either in a media bag or if you have a media container that sometimes comes with your filter. I have also heard that weak lighting can contribute as well. Good Luck.

polka

I have the same problem with brown algae. My tank has been setupsince November. I have been told it will turn to green, it has not yet. When it does are you suppose to remove it or let it go. If you do remove it, How?

kris

Everyone is going to have algae-people with good water,bad water and every one inbetween, usually you just scrape it off or wash it off your decorations at water change time. If you really think you have more than what might be considered normal, then check phosphates. The more intense the lighting, the more algae will grow. I have bleached my white corals, but most experts advise against this because it is hard to rinse off, and even the smallest residue is toxic.