Algea Algea everywhere!

fishdreams

Man, this algea grows like crazy, I cant keep it down. I can clean most of it off the glass but not all of it, and I cant even come close to cleaning it out of the coral sand. Its on the filters the rock work, everthing. When I go to clean it off it just makes the tank water really mirky and full of debris. Can someone give me advise for keeping the algea at bay without dirtying up the water? I have really nice filtration: a protien skimmer, undergravel filter, powerheads, and a tetra tec 300 that hangs on the side.
Thanks everybody :D

B

bildotang

Is the tank exposed to natural sunlight? What sort of lights are you using. It's my understanding that old bulbs produce light outside of their intended spectrum, which can have a slight affect on algae growth.

fishdreams

My tank is five months old, and I have two fish and five inverts. I use tapwater, (I know thats not good, but I am buying an RO for it sometime soon) and I do water changes every week. I do about a five percent water change and I changed my lighting schedual from 12 hours a day too 7 hours a day.

fishdreams

The lights are brand new and are coralife delux series with two 65watt actinics and two 65watt white flouresents. just bought a magnet as opposed to the scrubber with the handle and that has helped alot. Also been using the flat sides of razor blades to get the stuff that is really on there, and that has also helped alot and it does'nt leave scratches. Also I plan on getting plants in there because I here that really helps, and I plan on getting a wet/dry.

kitty

snails
snails
snails

I have 12 turbos that keep my 75 pretty clean. It may take a week or so for them to get a handle on it if it's really bad, but they'll be some happy little turbos!!

clint_reno

Get yourself some turbos, and they will happily keep your tank clean. And I suggest you use bottled distilled water until you get your R/O unit. WalMart sells distilled water by the gallon jug for around 50 cents.
:yes:

jlem

Originally posted by Kitty
snails
snails
snails

You need to fix what is causing the algae and not throw in a bunch of snails that will add more waste. You can do water changes daily and have terrible algae if the tap water you are using is feeding the algae. I use water from the Glacier water machines and really like it. It is 25 cents a gallon and is pretty darn close to pure water. have you checked your PH. Lower PH can cause algae problems and reduced skimming ability.
You should feed no more than once a day and all of the food should be gone within a minute. If you have algae eating fish then I would feed every other day or so. As long as the fish are slim you are feeding them plenty. Hungry fish means a cleaner tank because the fish are always searching for food and cleaning the tank. How is your water circulation? 7-9 hours as a good amount of light for the tank.
If you don't have one you may want to order a clean up crew from this site. I have ordered numerous times and always am more than happy with the critters. I usually get a few extra crabs and snails to. The clean up crew won't fish your algae problem but it ill help keep the tank clean once you fix the algae problem.

T

thomas712

fishdreams
And the algae got really bad when you added the new lights didn't it? This is typical of new/stronger lighting.
Your plan to add macro algae is one step that you can take, however many prefer to use macro's in a refugium so that the algae will not root into the sand and rocks of the main display.
Another thing that would help is a protien skimmer.
I would also recommend that you look for an RO water dispensing machine like at a Miejer or Wall Mart store until you get the RO unit.
If you can get your hands on a polyfilter then I would use that as well. This will help remove dissolved organics as well as phosphates (sounds like you have alot of PO4)
Snails and Red leg hermits as suggested above.
Cut back on feeding to once a day as suggested above. Stay away from frozen foods unless you rinse them.
Just a few suggestions that might help
Thomas

T

thomas712

A tap water filter?, you mean like one that hooks onto your faucet? Well those are really just carbon filters. I do use them on my tap water but its for drinking and cooking really. As just a carbon filter it takes out some of the nasties, but could leave many others and contribute to more phosphates. My opinion is that they should not be completly trusted for a reef tank. It would be better than just tap but not the best.
Polyfilter is an impregnated filter pad that removes ammonia, phosphates, DOC's, copper and other heavy metals, and medicatations.
Thomas