Algea Attack, help!

cujo97

I need some expert advice guys and girls. I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 clowns and 1 coral beauty, 1 royal gramma and 1 arrow crab. I have now live rock or plants. My aquarium has lighting form 8am to 10pm, it is filtering on a Magnum 350 canister filter, and a Seaclone Protien skimmer. My salinitity reads at 1.023, and I'm approaching my time for a water change.
After that overview here's my situation...I've upgraded from a 30 gallon fish only tank to a 75 gal. and it's been running now for about 2 months, and my water conditions and health of my fish has been excellent. I changed the water 1 month on the 27th of june, I usually do a 20% change monthly.? Just recently after my last change algea started to spread like wild fire, and reddish algea. I contacted my local pet store and I started using a phosphogaurd crystals in a pouch inside my Magunm filter. The reddish algea cleared and then this wierd dark green algea spread over most of the substrate in my tank!
Is this good or bad or shouldn't I be so concerned. My fish all seem to be rather healthy and eating well but it looks horrible in the tank, I now that some algea is'nt all that bad but what about this stuff?
Any help is greatly appreaciated, oh and I have decreased my lighting time since about the 20th of june to about 6hours of light daily.
Thanks GREG :eek:

when i had algae growth i got a yellow tang to eat the hair algae, but in your case i would get snails, then when the algae went to the crushed coral i got a powerhead which has been very effective, what kind of water do you use to refill your tank?
also 8-10 is a lot of light which could be producing the algae, also where is your tank located?
[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: dlight692000 ]

ll206

I ran into the same problem, and I hate to tell you this but you should do a water change every two weeks. The best way to rid algae is a water change. And you can never do too many..... ;)

mr . salty

Sounds like you have either high nitrates,or phosphates.That is most likly causing this algae.That and your lights are on toooo long. I would first reduce the lighting to 8-10 hours a day(8 would be better till this algae phase is done)Then start looking for the source of the water problems. Are you using TAP WATER??? This replacement water is most likly where your problem lies.I suggest you start using bottled RO(reverse osmosis) water to do your changes.

cujo97

Originally posted by CUJO97:
<STRONG>I need some expert advice guys and girls. I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 clowns and 1 coral beauty, 1 royal gramma and 1 arrow crab. I have now live rock or plants. My aquarium has lighting form 8am to 10pm, it is filtering on a Magnum 350 canister filter, and a Seaclone Protien skimmer. My salinitity reads at 1.023, and I'm approaching my time for a water change.
After that overview here's my situation...I've upgraded from a 30 gallon fish only tank to a 75 gal. and it's been running now for about 2 months, and my water conditions and health of my fish has been excellent. I changed the water 1 month on the 27th of june, I usually do a 20% change monthly.? Just recently after my last change algea started to spread like wild fire, and reddish algea. I contacted my local pet store and I started using a phosphogaurd crystals in a pouch inside my Magunm filter. The reddish algea cleared and then this wierd dark green algea spread over most of the substrate in my tank!
Is this good or bad or shouldn't I be so concerned. My fish all seem to be rather healthy and eating well but it looks horrible in the tank, I now that some algea is'nt all that bad but what about this stuff?
Any help is greatly appreaciated, oh and I have decreased my lighting time since about the 20th of june to about 6hours of light daily.
Thanks GREG :eek:</STRONG>

Thanks for the info!
My tank is located in the corner of my downstairs living room, its 6' away from the nearest window and isn't near any doors, it's bright down there in the morning but is never in the sunlight.
I'd like to hear more about this RO Reverse Osmosis, how do I start?
Thanks again!
:D :D

lcc

If gyour nitrates are toom high you might consider a different filter system. Canister filters after a while become nitrate factories so to speak. Also, watch for over feeding. Do you use distilled water or (RO)water when you do water changes? This will also help with your problem. First place to start test the water.