algea problemFor a couple of months now, I have had

sparkee61

For a couple of months now, I have had big problems with green algae.I cut back my light hours to 6. I curbed the amount of food and how often I feed the corals and fish. All measures are fine except the calcium and alk were a little low.I have made 20 % water chages weekly for the past mont and still the algae keeps growing. Any thoughts?

bama man

I had some green algae on the glass that IMO came from some LR that I put in the DT. The LR came from a DT that was being sold back to the LFS after being set up for over a year. I thoght I had scrubbed all the LR good enough but after I got it all placed I found some that had the green algae on it. I had a PH that had fallen farther into the tank causing a storm, it blew the algae blooms all around the DT. I bought a lawnmower blenny from this site and he has really cleaned it up after being in there about a week now. He is one of my favorites. He looks like a little old man, and he does a great job.

tinatina5

I agree with the lawnmower mine made light work of the alge. I think he looks like a vampire though lol. Little white fangs on the side.

big

Turbos can help like just said...........
What lights do you have , how old are the bulbs and what is the total wattage,??
It looks as if what you are trying is on the right path. I am making the assumption you are using RO water and your source water is not the
issue here. If Phosphates and Nitrates nor overfeeding are not the issues acting as plant fertilizers than it must be something else....
I picked up some Hair Algae from a frag. I had introduced last year.After going threw about all the normal methods, I stumbled upon what worked
well for me.I starved it out............ I basically cut my daily lighting to nothing but Actinic for a few hours per day ...Even no lighting at all for a period of time if necessary......... The ocean does go threw periods of dramatically reduced brightness from time to time with storms and such........ This will starve the stuff out......
Someone mentioned a LMB.......I have always kept a Lawnmower in my DT. He will eat the soft green algae and the types that form on the glass,but that coarse hair stuff he will not touch...........

sparkee61

I have nova extreme T5 lighting. I keep the act. lights on for 7 hours and regular lights for 6 hours.I can't reduce anynore because of the corals. I use RO water for all water changes.I will try cutting off lights once a week and see if that helps.

big

I have Nova too the NEP 6 bulb...........
Don't worry too much about a dramatic cut back for several days in a row. The several days of low light is what starves the crap....... Running your Actinic lights for your regular time if you wish, but cutting your use of the high K lights is what will starve the stuff. Leave the 10k's off for a while...... One day off now and then will not do it. It can last past that single day without starving . Cutting back will not adversely effect you corals if this is not a regular occurrence. I have lots of high light demand corals and have used the cut back method with no adverse issues to the corals............
Many times in nature storms have made the sky dark for weeks on end . Good luck..............

big

Originally Posted by sparkee61
http:///forum/post/2814415
Thanks Big. I will try shutting down lights for a couple days. If it it works, I owe you a beer.
Sounds like a good plan to me!!!!!!!

It may take more than a couple, just keep a watch on the stuff...........It will die off within a week or so.....................