algea problems?

kylecorson

hello to all,
semi new to the hobby, but having questions,
i am having some problems with brownish, greenish, and reddish hair like algea growing on the sand in my 29 gallon reef. i currently have a protein skimmer, aqua clear filter, 30 lbs of live rock, and a bunch of current being thrown around filtering this tank? The coral and anemone are both doing fine, it just looks gross and i want it to go away, any suggestions? thanks!

tank a holic

lawn mower blennies and emerald crabs will clean it up
how old is your tank, new tanks go through an algae cycle...
brown, red, green and finally coralline
constant cleaning of the glass will help but its a pain
also check your parameters, phosphates and nitrates will feed algae blooms, your phosphates may test zero because the algae is eating it fast so if it is zero try testing about 2-3 hrs after the lights are out
also if you use tap water try RO or distilled water on your next few WC's and see if it makes a difference
most people tell you to turn the lights out....
now while this will kill the algae its a temporary fix, you cant just never turn the lights on, so you need to get to the root of the problem which i would say is phosphates

geoj

+1: how old is your tank, new tanks go through an algae cycle...
+1: also if you use tap water try RO or distilled water on your next few WC's and see if it makes a difference

tank a holic

yeah, its still going through the algae cycle, you'll probably be three more months (at least) before it is finished and you get to the coralline.
you can cut the lights back if you want to slow it down, but i would step up my water changes to keep nitrates down and keep a close eye on phosphates
also like i said b4 lawnmower and scooter blennies, or an emerald crab and urchins are great at getting rid of and maintaining algae

bizzmoneyb

algae is fed by excessive nutrients and low flow.
try increasing the flow in your tank, cut down on how much you feed, cut back on the lights and do regular water changes.

mr_x

i agree with bizz. you don't need to add critters to the tank. also, red "hairlike" algae coule be cyanobacteria. nothing eats that. vacuum it out with waterchanges.