Algea Question

nolson

I know this really is a newbie question. I looked at my tank today... and all was fine... I cam back an hour later and looked at it and there is all of the sudden this really intense copper colored looking stuff on top of the rock in certain places? Hmm maybe its orange not to sure somebody please help me... Is this stuff ok? what is it? and should I get rid of it if so how..
I have a 37 gallon corner tank.... I have no live rock... I have about a 1 inch layer of live sand over a bunch of CC I am getting close to the end of my cycle. I cycled with 6 damsels... I know its overkill but the way I see it is there all going back anyways thanks for taking the time to read this.

wyldgunz

Perhaps diatom algea.. its not a good thing but its not the end of the work it come in a reddish and greenish color. ive had it off and on in my tank as have everyone else for the most part, if thats what it is. Happens from waste not getting cleaned usually in low circulated areas.
A pic would help id it better though.

krishj39

Almost certainly diatom algae. This is very common during cycling and in the months following the cycle. It should eventually fix itself, but it may take a longer time to do that if you don't have good filtration, or are overfeeding, or are overstocked. You'll never totally get rid of the stuff though, and you'll have to wipe it off of the inside glass every few days for as long as you keep the tank (only a small nuisance). I'll leave it to others to give advice on how to get rid of the stuff, I have tried it all and the only thing that worked was waiting till the tank matured.

rockies

Copper coloring sounds like diatoms to me. Most describe it as brown, but tarnished copper is probably a better description, at least for my tank.
I had/have the same thing in my tank. Clean-up crew really helped with it and what they haven't gotten to is clearing up on its own.