algea

rblovell

What is going on with my tank. Originally i had burgundy algea, now that algea has turned green. Why the change, and how can I keep it from growing?

blackcap

A little algae is good. There are different types and they come in different colors. Green is generally a good color, once it turns from brown to green that means it is healthy and starting to grow nicely. This is a good sign that things are doing well in your tank. Plus the fish, invertabrae, etc. eat the algae. If you get too much you can suck it out when you do your water changes. :D

mr . salty

Agreed,the apperence of green algae is a sign that your tank is doing well.But too much can cause serious problems...
Algae problems can be caused by a number of things,most likly poor light,or lights on for too long each day.Or even sunlight in the tank.
Another and more common cause is poor water quality.
Poor water quality can be caused by a million things ranging from overstocking,under/poor filteration,even not enough circulation..
So tell us about your setup in more detail(including water test readings and we'll try to figure this out...

rblovell

Water levels are all checking out fine. Looks to me like there may be enough circulation. Should I change the filter cartridge more often?

damselgal

when i had a lot of greenish algea in my tank, i got 2 turbo snails and they cleaned the sides of the tank and floor right off. They are great to have and fun to watch when they are eating on the glass where u can see them! They are cheap too and live for a good amount of time!
GOOD LUCK!