Aliens growing in my reef...

fishmeds

Wondered if anyone could tell me what is growing in my reef.
I set up a 29 gallon reef about 3 years ago. It has some toadstools, green rhodactis, sponge corals, yellow pollips, galaxea and a couple of anemones in it. Figi live rock. Just a basic reef.
Anyway, I suddenly have 3 grey, fleshy balls growing on the rock that are increasing in size. They have an open hole at the top... where if you look down inside it, there seems to be a skeletal structure inside. They do move around a bit.
Have not had time to get my books out to do some research on this. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

wax32

A kind of semi-invertebrate. Similar to a sponge, sorta. I wouldn't bother trying to feed them. They will probably get plenty to eat from fishfood leftovers. Hitchhiker types like those are generally pretty undemanding.

wax32

hehe. I have a huge pile of books and I read way too much, everything I can get my hands on.

celacanthr

I will try, my camera phone isn't working properly ATM, and it is the best "digital camera" I own. I will probably borrow someone elses if it comes out... :-
So far, what i have "observed" is that:
a)They are pretty active, they move quickly, and don't seem to mind the light
b)their arms seem to be more delicate than other brittle stars
c)They are really blue. In like regular room lights they almost look green ( :scared: was the first thing I though) but in like PC lighting they actually look blue! YAY!
d)they have lots of arm spines
d)I LOVE IT!

fishmeds

Thanks for all the replies. I am very busy over here at National Fish Pharmaceuticals, and deal with many importers/exporters of marine/freshwater fish and Koi. It's hard for me to go through the "library" of books we have here since I hardly have time.
Flukes, and a weird strain of resistant ****** have come in this last year. So needless to say, I am on the phone all day giving consultations.
If anyone has a fish only tank with ****** that will not go away, the only thing that will rid your tank of it is Quinine Sulfate. Check out my site sometime - nationalfishpharm.com I have around 3 years of research up there for free. :happyfish
I really like this website, and the quality of your merchandise. Keep up the good work!