aliens on live rock

nicole

I think my tank has been infiltrated by aliens. I just noticed these weird little white things that pop in and out of the live rock. The best description I can give is they almost look like little tiny anenomes. They are kind of whitish but mostly clear with a little irredescence to them. They bloom like a flower when they come out, and whenever a fish swims close to them they suck back into the rock. They are kind of cone shaped with the skinny end being attached to the rock. What are they?

G

gobiodon

It is probably Aiptasia Anemones(?). You don't want them in your tank. It's nasty pest and will take over your tank. The peppermint shrimp are at best moderately good at removing Aiptasia. In a small tank your best bet is to inject the aiptasia with either diluted muriatic acid or calcium hydroxide. Do this in small increments as in a small tank you can dramatically alter the tank's chemistry with just a small amount of these agents. Or you can take out the rock and blast the aiptasia with a water pik. Don't wash it in fresh water - it'll ruin your LR.
If your tank is big enough I recommend Copperband and Black-banded butterflies to get rid of Aiptasia. Sometimes some of these Butterflyfishes will "cross over the line". These two species of Butterflyfishes are less likely to eat non-Aiptasia stinging-celled animals.
Good luck.

wolffam

Could be a small feather duster type filter feeder. I have find three recently in my tank. One is green/white, the other two or a white/red color. They come out of the rock and open up like a blooming flower in high speed. When a fish swims by, or if I shine a light at them at night they suck back into their hole in the rock. Nothing to worry about. They came with your live rock and are safe.

@knight

i noticed the same thing, i think theyre feather dusters though. if you look really closely you can see, in my situation that they are attached to a twig like thing. just like the big feather dusters.

nm reef

sounds like feather dusters.......I've got tons of 'em.........they are filter feeders and are good to have....never been a problem for me......

kappadoku

I had the same thing on my live rock weeks ago, it looked more like a light colored or clear aptasia anemone. My peppermint shrimp ate them I think, since I put him in there, their gone.

twoods71

Feather dusters / tube worms, thats what they are. They can be many differnt colors also. Most of the ones I have are white but I also have 1 that is a light purple and a big 1 that is red and yellow.

fraggle

All the ones I got on my live rock yesterday are purple. They are all tiny though. Too bad I dont know what that egg looking thing is. I think I have come to the conclusion that it is an egg, and whatever is inside is gonna be out soon. I hope I get to find out what it is.