Alk Or Dh?

brokendeck

I just tested my KH(which is ALK im pretty sure). If it isnt let me know. My test results said my KH was 5. If its suppose to be higher, how should I raise it? My LFS sold me some stuff that will raise it but I wanted to make sure it was ok to use it, if it needs to be raised.

KH stands for carbinate hardness and it is not the same as alk
it is how hard of water is in the tank,same method to raise alk will work for KH

dankbardy31

Your test kit should say what your dkh should be at. I think for reefs its is about 10-12. Check the instruction guide that told you how to check it.

natclanwy

Alkilinity should be 8-12DKH, 125-200ppm, or 2.5-4 meq/L depending on which units your test kit uses.
If alk is low you need to dose buffer to increase the level, you buy premade buffers from the LFS or you can make your own from baking soda and baked baking soda mix 6:1. Mix 6 parts baking soda with 1 part baking soda that has been baked in the oven at 350 for 2hrs. This solution will make a balanced alkilinity buffer that will have a minimal impact on your Ph.
Be sure and test your calcium and magnesium and dose them accordingly as well.

big

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3035039
Alkilinity should be 8-12DKH, 125-200ppm, or 2.5-4 meq/L depending on which units your test kit uses.
If alk is low you need to dose buffer to increase the level, you buy premade buffers from the LFS or you can make your own from baking soda and baked baking soda mix 6:1. Mix 6 parts baking soda with 1 part baking soda that has been baked in the oven at 350 for 2hrs. This solution will make a balanced alkilinity buffer that will have a minimal impact on your Ph.
Be sure and test your calcium and magnesium and dose them accordingly as well.
Glad to see someone else still does this