Alkalinity is High!

jobu28

Long story short my test kit wasnt testing properly so i added too much buffer. Is there any way to get it down outside of water changes? i have a 34g nano with an alk of about 165. i was told it should be between 110-130. i did a 5g change with no difference. i bought a new kit and tested it against my LFS so i know i am right now.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by jobu28
http:///forum/post/3008064
Long story short my test kit wasnt testing properly so i added too much buffer. Is there any way to get it down outside of water changes? i have a 34g nano with an alk of about 165. i was told it should be between 110-130. i did a 5g change with no difference. i bought a new kit and tested it against my LFS so i know i am right now.
Water change is the fastest way but it will come down naturally if you leave it alone and dont add any more alk supplement.

jobu28

Ok, thanks Veni. i did a 5g change but it didnt change the readings. I will do another one in a few days.

natclanwy

Don't worry about it the range for alk is 125-200ppm so you are still fine just check your calcium to be sure it is in range also.

jobu28

Calcium was about 500 Was told it should be around 400. i didnt add anything for that though. Is that ok?

natclanwy

Your calcium is high but not dangerously high, just stop adding any type of supplements and it should come down on its own. The range for calcium is 380-450ppm.