all clownfish experts

debbie

Okay, here are some not so good photos of my new black and white clownfish. The LFS calls them "barrier reef clownfish". Can anyone please tell me if this is the black and white percs that is the "rave" these days??
This fish is small, the nost and the fins as you can see are yellow. I did see some of the same fish in the store that were full grown and they kept the yellow on them.
The black and white percs I see are all black and white, can someone help me to identify this fish correctly??

debbie

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
No, these are the b/w saddle clowns...

Okay, so when you say these are not b/w saddle clowns is that what you call barrier reef clowns is saddle clowns??

viper_930

The clownfish that are commonly called barrier reef clowns are A. akindynos, which look very different than what your LFS is selling.

viper_930

Sorry I don't think these are the clownfish you're looking for. I have a hunch you're trying to get the black/white ocellaris clownfish.

debbie

Originally Posted by TriGa22
No, they are b/w saddlebacks
It is not marked like the saddlebacks though....

debbie

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Sorry I don't think these are the clownfish you're looking for. I have a hunch you're trying to get the black/white ocellaris clownfish.

So then what do you think these are then??

deltablack22

Originally Posted by Debbie
Okay, so when you say these are not b/w saddle clowns is that what you call barrier reef clowns is saddle clowns??

I said: "No, these are b/w saddle backs."
I didnt say that they were not. I think your LFS had these mislabeled.
What you are looking for are not percs anyway, they are B/W ocellaris clowns.

viper_930

Originally Posted by Debbie
So then what do you think these are then??
I agree they are black/white saddlebacks, A. polymnus
The black saddleback variant does not have the same markings as the brown saddlebacks.
Delta, I think she just wanted a second opinion. :)

debbie

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
I said: "No, these are b/w saddle backs."
I didnt say that they were not. I think your LFS had these mislabeled.
What you are looking for are not percs anyway, they are B/W ocellaris clowns.

No need to get huffy, I am just confused as to the correct identification.
Thanks for your reply though.....

deltablack22

Sorry, I stated it and then two other people said the exact same thing and then you asked again what they were...
Wasnt getting "huffy" it just seemed like you were waiting for someone to tell you they were B/W percs...

debbie

Thanks Delta, miss understanding I guess.....

After doing some more searching on the internet it is definatley a b/w saddleback. Not what I was after but oh so cute just the same. She did not label them as percs thank goodness, she calls them barrie reef fish but she new that I was wanting the ocellaris ones and these are what she gets in.
But that is just fine, close enough for me. Saddlebacks are cute too.
Thanks everyone for your replies, very appreciated......

zephyrlily

Hi Debbie

I just stumbled across this post, you responded to mine too, apparently we both bought mislabeled saddle backs around the same time. Mine are also getting along and grouping with the percs. :)

dawman

Many LFS get black saddlebacks and label them percs or barrier reef clowns . Being there is no B&W percula , I would think this would not get mixed up . This is a very common misconception which confuses many people that don`t know the difference .Just like many get black saddlebacks and allardi clowns mixed up . One reason why I wish LFS used scientific names when labeling them . But I`m sure that would get mixed up too eventually .

gmann1139

Dawman, not to pick on ya, but I enjoy reading your post, then seeing your pic / User Title combination. You must be part of the problem.

dawman

Originally Posted by gmann1139
Dawman, not to pick on ya, but I enjoy reading your post, then seeing your pic / User Title combination. You must be part of the problem.

LOL , I have many different species of clownfish and picked percula and used to have a pic of one of my percula pairs .I was wondering when someone would catch that. Actually you are the first to ever notice that .