All-Glass Megaflow & S/F Setup Questions

shoimen

Hi!
Possibly going to upgrade my FOWLR to an All-Glass 65 or 72 Bow aquarium and have been looking into the Megaflow built-in overflow. This will be running to a 20 gallon tank that I am planning to setup as a Sump/Fuge.
Does anyone have any input/comments/experience on this Megaflow system?
I am also inquiring if there is any sort of 'emergency setup' I would need to prevent any spills in case of power outages, etc?
Here is the setup I am planning...
From my research, I plan on doing a Sump/fuge design with 3 chambers:
1. For the Skimmer (AquaC Urchin In-Sump w/ Rio 800)
2. Fuge (Live sand, etc)
3. Return with heater & submersible pump (Mag-Drive Supreme 7 700 GPH Water Pump)
The documentation/brochures states that this system is rated for a maximum flow rate of 600 gph. The pump that I am looking at is rated for 700 GPH, but since it will be pushing the water up about 4 ft, is actually about 480GPH.
Does anyone have any input...is this too much or too little GPH? From my reading, I am assuming flow to the S/F will be controlled via a control valve....and the return can also have a control valve...correct?
How would this skimmer fit into this equation?
Any other suggestions/comments?
Wow, lots of questions....Thanks a bunch!!

dmc888

Looks like a good setup so far.
I would not use control valves.
As long as the overflow can handle the gph, gravity will do the rest.
As for a power outage issue, try to have extra room in the fuge to contain the extra water.
So don't put your waterline too close to the top.
Also i would go with the largest tank that would fit in the stand , just don't forget about height issues.
Equipment section would be your best bet for design help.

edub

I just bought a 72 reef ready BF about two months ago....
I am also using the mag drive 700 which I figure is around 420 gph at my pumping height. As for valves, I don't have 'em. Just gravity. If the pump fails, or the power goes out, the tank won't drain below the bottom of the plastic edging that goes around the top of the tank - as long as there's room for 3-4 gallons in the sump, there won't be any flooding.
I've been using a seaclone skimmer in the sump but I'm very disappointed in its performance. I have a AquaC Remora on a UPS truck somewhere between Cali and the east coast - hopefully I'll get it soon...
As for heating, I have two 300 W heaters - one in the tank and one in the sump.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

shoimen

Thanks guys!!
I'm gettin excited to upgrade!!

One more thing....
Is a protein skimmer absolutely necessary to have in a sump for a FOWLR setup?

D

denasoro

Hi Shoiman,
Aquarium Superstore has a deal this month on a 90 gallon with megaflow: $214! I ALMOST got that one, but settled for a 75 without Megaflow instead (for $115 - main reason was to keep expenses down a little, as I figured all other costs would escalate too). I think the 75 with Megaflow was around $200, so if you really wanted to go Megaflow, the 90 would be a great deal.
Note: thess prices only include the tank - it doesn't include the top, lights, plumbing kit, or anything else.

shoimen

Ya, I have been in there a few times....they have an awesome deal 75E (not drilled) with stand, hood & light for $300...which is cheap.
I am pretty set on a 65 gallon....biggest size for a 36" long...that way I can use the 36" Coralife Aqualight fixture that I have had my eye on. It costs like $50 less than the 48". And like you say, all other expenses increase with tank size.
I think 65 will suffice my hobby needs for the time being...
I think you were the one who told me about the Oconomowoc LFS. Stopped in there a few days ago. That place is pretty sweet. Its under new MGMT. They match any prices you can find...Internet, LFS, catalog, etc. And are willing to put together package deals.
My mind is pretty set on a 65 with overflow kit...turn my 20 to a sump/fuge. Now I need to figure out if the 20 will fit in the stand or if I need to get out the tools and hit up the hardware store... :thinking:
Regardless, i'm gettin excited!!

P

pas13

I just bought the Oceanic 90g reef ready bow front. (BTW- in case you did not know, reef ready means that the tank is predrilled for a built in overflow-- predrilled tanks were new to me so that is something I recently learned). I looked at the AGA 72 bf, but I really wanted the extra water volume. Plus, Oceanic's built in overflow looked a little nicer and IMO, the tank itself was designed a little better. However, I also paid a disproportionately higher amount. You might want to look at the 90 bf, but I'll warn you, you might be just like me and decide that you HAVE to have the more expensive one. :D