All I want for christmas is a brand new tank...Help

coachklm

Ok .... I'm taking the dive and ordering a tank... for a full reef setup in the future.... i'm debating on the 48x48x25 or the 72x30x25 something along those lines... my question is what would be the best size and who should I contact about manufacture of it... I'd prefer a "walk around" tank with center placed overflow but.... what are the "experts" opinions? if I got a 48x48 where to put the drains and returns for closed loop ect.. scheme it up for me people... I really want to get this started but need to find a good manufacturer first ohh acrylic or glass?
ohh i'm looking at @240g

reckler

I had a friend just get a 240 gallon with all the bells and whistles. the closed loop was on each corner of the tank and the over flow was in the center of the tank. He custom ordered his tank all glass. On the closed loop he added a 4 way for circulation. his tank is awsome. when you look at the tank, no matter what side you are on all you see if reef. he stacked rock up around the overflow to hid it and with the closed loop, he hide the pipes with smaller rocks. tank looks awsome.
He is using a 55 gallon sump and I can't remember what skimmer he got but it is like 3' tall. I wired the thing up for him with a timmer on each plug so he can control all the power that goes to his tank. with the auto fill system he put in, the only thing he does is fill his water with salt. We also made a lighting system for the tank that would make mother nature jellious. with the timmers I installed his lights mimic natural lighting process.
Good Luck with you new tank and don't forget to post some pics for us when you start it.

coachklm

Originally Posted by reckler
I had a friend just get a 240 gallon with all the bells and whistlesFROM WHERE?
. the closed loop was on each corner of the tank and the over flow was in the center of the tank. He custom ordered his tank all glass. On the closed loop he added a 4 way for circulation. his tank is awsome. when you look at the tank, no matter what side you are on all you see if reef. he stacked rock up around the overflow to hid it and with the closed loop, he hide the pipes with smaller rocks. tank looks awsome. CAN YOU GET PICTURES OF THE TANK? WHAT DEMENTIONS WAS THE TANK?

thanks for the info .. any schematics with that?

reckler

here is a pic I drew from his tank. On the closed loop he tied 1 to 1 and 2 to 2.
he used a 4way to circulate the water in the tank. the outside corner hole (closed loop 1&3) is where the water goes into the tank along with 2,4. the inside hole(closed loop 1&3) is where the water is sucked in from the outside hole. along with 2,4. I hope you understand the process in which it works. the 4way does all the work you need to just plumb it. you can also get an 8way too, but I hear they are pretty expencive.
the drawing is pretty crude but i'm no artist.

coachklm

how does 12 holes in the bottom support the structural integrity of the tank? thats alot of holes i do like the idea though ... squid have an opinion?

reckler

his tank is 1/2" aga. the outer koles are 1" with the intake inside the overflow. and the 4 center holes are 1 1/4"
where the overflow is the glass was doubled up..

reckler

I forgot to tell you also. he built a stand with 5/8 ply amd drilled the holes out where he had to plumb it. he also placed a piece of 1/2 foam under the entire tank to keep it level and incase there was something poking up from the stand to break the glass.

purebullet

i think for a walk around tank 48x48 with a center overflow would be best for viewing because 30 inches realy isnt that wide...a center overflow would be about 10 inchs wich would make it 10 inchs only on each side of it...pm me and ill send u a link for manufatures and other places to look ect