All of them are disappearing!

sxy_kya_06

I noticed my polyps are not as abundant as they once were. I have not tested the water yet. I will have to do this tonight. But any advice please. Any kind of help would be great. I am trying to do the best i can.
I dont know what I am doing wrong.

nacl freak

Maybe you have a midnight grazer. List your livestock. Parameters? Do you target feed? Lighting? Chemical warfare? Do you have a protein skimmer? What kind? Info, info, we can never have enough info!

sxy_kya_06

I have two triggers and one lionfish. One aemone. I am just just haveing a problem with the polyps. I will list my para. tonight. I do not have enough time this morning. I do have a kimmer, it is a remora, fits my 55 gal. OI have not added anything new and i have not changed anything except the water. I have no clue. I will certainly post again tonite.

morval

what kind of polyps r u talking about? triggers will pick at stuff on rock maybe taking ur polyps with it

sxy_kya_06

i dont know the poylps names, one set are all green and the others are purple sars and red snake gordians. I cant spell, sorry. the triggers dont seem to bother them. they dont move enough to catch there eye. would this fhappen if the lion rests one them?

socal57che

Originally Posted by Sxy_kya_06
http:///forum/post/2571688
how do you check for those?
After "lights out" shine an LED flashlight with a red lens into the tank around the polyps. Or you could iodine dip the rock with the polyps on it and watch for them to fall out. Sea spiders are nasty looking and resemble crabs. Sundials have a unique "sundial" design in a spiral shell. A search here on SWF should render pics of both.
BTW are these Palys or Zoas or what?
Link to some pics of sea spiders. Some varieties eat zoas.
http://images.google.com/images?q=se...&oe=UTF-8&um=1
Here is a pic of a sundial having lunch. (photo by matt ryan)

sxy_kya_06

what does it mean when they fall off, it means that i have those creatures? the funny thing is, which i should have mentioned earlier, my colt coral is fine and so are my mushrooms. the things is huge. i would post pictures if i knew how. lfs told us they were poylps. the green ones look like cute little buttons with a brown(lack of a better word) center,the snakes are baout an inch long and tubular, the yellow one look like little brooms. my lfs told me not to spot feed, so i read the directions on what i am using, KENT marine mirco-vert and zooplex. I will check my lfs today for iodine. Supplements that i use are MYDOR REEF AND MARINE ALL IN ONECOMPLEX. Green striped mushrooms (actinodiscus), button polyps{orange on the outside and bright green on the inside}, purple starburst poylp, Cauliflower colt coral (cladiella sp)

socal57che

Originally Posted by Sxy_kya_06
http:///forum/post/2572024
what does it mean when they fall off, it means that i have those creatures? the funny thing is, which i should have mentioned earlier, my colt coral is fine and so are my mushrooms. the things is huge. i would post pictures if i knew how. lfs told us they were poylps. the green ones look like cute little buttons with a brown(lack of a better word) center,the snakes are baout an inch long and tubular, the yellow one look like little brooms. my lfs told me not to spot feed, so i read the directions on what i am using, KENT marine mirco-vert and zooplex. I will check my lfs today for iodine. Supplements that i use are MYDOR REEF AND MARINE ALL IN ONECOMPLEX. Green striped mushrooms (actinodiscus), button polyps{orange on the outside and bright green on the inside}, purple starburst poylp, Cauliflower colt coral (cladiella sp
)
Sounds like you bought a type of palythoas or protopalythoas which are in the zoanthid family. The spiders and snails I mentioned feed on zoanthids. I dont know for sure that they will eat palys, but an iodine dip should take care of them. Google lugols iodine dip and get some background on the procedure with photos. Basically you mix the iodine with tank water according to the directions and place your specimens in the solution. 5 minutes or so should be long enough. If they start to slime excessively go ahead and pull them out. You can do multiple dips. There is another dip (I used it for flatworms) that worked well called "Reef DipCoral Disinfectant" made by Seachem.

snakeblitz33

Besides spiders and sundials, it could also be six legged asterina starfish, verminted (sp?) snails or black spot.
The verminted snails just irritate the zoas into not opening. Black spot is a fungal disease. If you take your colony out and dip them in reef dip (concentrated iodine) they should do better.
Try to take a magnifying glass and find something wrong with them, anything... little threads of silvery looking stuff, small bugs, anything at all...
Oh, and if you look into your aquarium at night, use a red flashlight, or get some clear red tape and put it on a regular flashlight. The night's creapy crawlies do not see the red in the spectrum of lighting. :D
Good luck!