all over the place!!!!

joerdie

the reasion i named that thread all over the place was because i have some unrelated questions and not a lot of time.
Anyhoo... First of all i started to get a little green alge (just a little teenie bit) BUT IT WONT COME OFF OF THE GLASS!!!!! arggg I have tried to use the magnet thingy and the stick with the pad on the end of it thingy. how does everyone else get that tougher alge off of the glass?
second its so wierd... my leathers (toadstool, deavils hand) wont stick their tendrals out. my wife caught them out the other day on the toadstool but the deavils hand just sits there like a bump on a log.
water paramiters.
trAte 10ppm
trIte 0ppm
ammon 0ppm
pH 8.4
phosphate 0
calcium 460
new bulbs (2vho 50/50 actinic/daylight)
p.s. all of my leathers are near the top of the tank and my sponges, polyps, feathers, zenia, and gorgonia are all doing awsome!!! so what gives?

michaeltx

I use a razor blade for the harder algae/.
as far as the corals did they start this when you change lights that could have an effect if the old bulbs had shifted spectrums already.
Mike

goldrush

Probably coralline algae. Sometimes my Toadstool and Devil's Hand don't extend for a few day's at a time also.

michaeltx

there is also a green tuff algae that grows on the glass that is a pain to get off. even harder then coraline to me anyway.
Mike

joerdie

michaeltx im sure that this is the same stuff.. i have never had this hard of a time with stupid alge.
yes unfortunatly im sure that there was a shift. the last bulbs where hand me downs. why does that matter? i would think that having new bulbs would be good. are there side affects?
lastly wouldnt using a razor blade scrach the glass or introduce trace elements of metal into the tank?

flamingkingofhe

I buy a special plastic scraper from lfs for $1.19 works real well on that tuff stuff what type of algae is it turf matt etc.

kris

Kent pro scraper offers a stainless steel blade fortheir scraper, I just ordered a replacement blade and it's perfect for that hard stuff. The replacement comes with a little handle (that you're supposed to attach) very easy to handle.
I agrtee that they may just be adjusting to the new lights

michaeltx

as the lights shift to a lower spectrum they dull in a sense when you change the lights out to new lights the spectrum bounces back up high where it was supposed to be so the corals have to adjust to the new lights. how long depends on how much of a shift there was to begin with.
how are they doing today?
as far as the razor blade if you leave it in the tank or use a old one with rust on it yes it put bad stuff on the tank. but most people use razor blades to cut soft corals. but long term exposure is bad short term I have never heard of a problem with them. yes they can scratch the glass you have to hold it steady against the glass and not tilt the blade back and forth or it will scratch the glass.if you have acrylic then I wouldnt use a vlade at all there are things designed not to scratch the acrylic.
Mike

joerdie

the tendrals are still not out bit the deavils hand is looking better. (not as much as i would like though) i am planning on trying the razorblade if i ever get to go home. (that last sentence souded as though my wife kicked me out or something but in accualitty im on call 24/7 and i have been called 31 times in the last 22hours... IIIIIIII NEEEEEEEEEDD SSSSSSLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP:eek:

michaeltx

man thats gotta suck. good pay I hope LOL
the leather should just get better and better though I am glad that it is already oming back out,.
just remember when using the blade kept it at the same angle and steady or it will scratch.
Mike