all weathermen should be fired!!

avbryce1

why do people try and perdict weather?? It baffles me.
weathermen are only 50% right about 25% of the time.
like the hurracane thats out there right now ITS DOWN BY CUBA!!!!! how can anyone tell me where its gonna be in 2 or 3 days! the only thing that is 100% for shure about a hurracane is that NO ONE knows what its going to do. I know its good to be prepared but i also know that it is bad to cry wolf 10 or 15 times a year.
also the funniest thing that ALWAYS comes out of a weatherman's mouth is "there's a 50% chance of rain today"..........you know thats right!!! there is a 50% chance of rain every day either its gonna rain or its not!! its 50/50 :D

tonyt26

they know this by studing past hurricanes and monitering there progress as to compared to previous ones. they also have satelites that help them track them as they sweep throw the ocean. they also track stuff like waves currents and wind direction that way htey can give a ballpark estimate so people dont get hit by surprise. i know this because im a weather man for the navy. i track stuff of of aircraft carriers.

T

tizzo

Yeah, but you gotta admit that 50% rain does sound kinda funny... Isn't there a 50% chance of rain everyday??
I predict 50% chance of rain tomarrow, no matter where you are. Tomarrow will be Fri. Lemme know if I am right or not..
I may have just found my future career. LOL

avbryce1

yes I know the methods they use, and living in florida on the beach my whole life, I have studied quite a few myself (by being in them) and i also know that I've been evacuated more times than I can count and the only rock solid conclusion that I can come to is . No matter what kind of equipment you have and how much you have studied and how many planes you fly into the middle of a storm or how many sattlites you have looking down
NATURE IS AWESOME and unpredictable! thanks:D

cartman101

GOD! My weather man does not even know what way the hurricane is going:eek: . And you know whats worse? EVERY weather man in florida has no clue on what way the hurricane is going! That makes me think............is there a "hurricane named charlie?"Or are they lieing to me???:thinking:

moraym

I predict 50% chance of rain tomarrow, no matter where you are.
When I go to Arizona and New Mexico, there is not a 50% chance of rain every day. In some locals, it only rains about 20 days a year, that is a bit less than 50% chance of rain in those areas.
And they can tell by cloud patterns and fronts. If there is no mass of clouds anywhere near you, and the closet is states away, then there isn't a 50% chance of rain. It's based on atmospheric winds and patterns, which do show tendencies and patterns.
Just because something will (a) happen or (b) not happen (as in rain), doesn't make it 50%.

T

tizzo

Ooooh K.
But if you combine the total rainfall of Hawii and Arizona I think it would pretty much average out to 50%.
Oh yeah, I gotta new career!!!

fishtanker

it is true that weatherman use past trends in their predictions but the only problem is that when dealing with weather patterns even the slightest difference from past patterns can cause a HUGE change in the result. Chaos theory.

wamp

Actually, you are wrong about 50% of the time... The precentage given is not even a precentage of rain in your area.
Here is how it works.... In simple terms...
The precentage comes form the precentage of the radar that will be covered by rain. In other words, it's not a precentage of rain in Your town, it's the whole radar screen.. Usually a 300-500Mile Sweep.
So lets say there are 100 miles.. And ten of those miles will have rain on the radar. That would equate to a 10% chance of rain for your area. Even if you are at the end of the radar.
Now, if you have a local doppler radar.. with only a few mile scan, you can then say if it is raining in your town that there is a 100% chance of rain.
It's all based on the radar coverage area..
You see, this is why predecting the rain is a little harder in a local area. Statewide is easy!

T

tizzo

Really?!?! I never knew...
Well, so much for my new found profession!!
Now at least I won't roll my eyes when I hear 50% chance of rain anymore...

wamp

I think the weathermen should explain that but they don't... Oh well... I guess they just like to know something we dont..:)

rbmount

I use the weatherdog method- if he comes in dry, the sun is shining, if he comes in wet it's raining. If he don't come back at all the wind is blowing.

ty_05_f

My weathermen are good we live about 30 miles from norman which has some of the most powerful radar on earth.