Almost Ready to Begin!!

dankoos

I purchased my current house almost 4 years ago. From the beginning, I have planned to finish half of the basement. I am going to build a 90 gallon tank into the wall so that the front can be viewed from the finished side and all the equipment/sump/etc. will be on the unfinished side. Finally finally finally the basement is about 90% complete. The fish tank stand is built and my 90gal tank is purchased. I also picked up a used 55 gal to use as a sump. I have the glass lids to go over the 90 gal. Other than that, I have yet to purchase anything else. I will be doing a FOWLR tank. I have been lurking on here for most of that 4 years and now have a summary list of questions/comments (keep in mind I want to keep costs in check..I am not afraid to spend money, but don't want to spend it "just because":
1. I found glass-holes dot com. I love the concept and the package having everythign you need including drill bit and bulkhead. I was thinking of the 700gal per hour version..thoughts on this? I will want my pump to be rated 700 gal or less, correct? Maybe slightly more since there is the "head" distance?
2. My sump will contain a skimmer, fuge, baffles, heater, pump. Missing anything?
3. What brand skimmer for a FOWLR?
4. Since I only plan on drilling one hole (don't want to press my luck assuming I am successful w/ first hole) and will only have one return (over the top), I figure I should use at least one if not two powerheads in the display tank. Should these point the same direction the return line is pointing, or be on the opposite side and shoot back at the return line?
5. I plan on having live rock...start w/ some purchased acquicultured rock and using either homemade or "base rock" that will eventually become live...just don't see the need to purchase all 100lbs or so at live rock prices...especially for a FOWLR.
6. I plan on using the fine sand in the display tank and for the fuge. Will seed DT sand w/ some live sand from LFS. Should I use mud to seed fuge?
7. Lighting. Since the light fixture will not be seen, I plan on using a shop light type fixture from HD with bulbs purchased from LFS or online...good enough for FOWLR?
8. Have a 38gal sitting around..thinking of using that for a QT...do I really need a QT? Is it a pain to keep it up and running?
9. Plan on purchasing a DI/RO unit.
10. What am I missing??????
Thanks in advance for all comments/answers!!!!
Thanks in advance for any/all input!!!

garick

1. QT is gonna be mucho important for your tank.
2. Do not use sand unless its Actual sand. Most places that are not fish stores sell silica sand which causes major algae problems.
3. The lighting will help with your coraline but as far as lighting for fish. Using the right bulbs will bring out the beauty in your fish/LR and the HD fixtures may or may not be able to handle it.
Also for lighting, certain bulbs can produce a wave lenth of light which can encourage bad algae growth and possibly cause cyno to really grow.
4. Movement in a tank is pretty important so consider either several larger power heads to make your water move or more smaller ones to give you spot specific movement. It helps keep your tank clean, it gives the fish a more natural setting and makes certain to keep everything moving in a positive direction

PS. On the power heads I recommend Koralia, good quality at an affordable price.
However if money is not an issue. There is another called a Vortech
which claims to be "the best" because just one can move so much water it creates actual waves on your tanks surface. It uses an outside drive through magnets which will keep heat out of your tank. However its pretty pricey for a single head but from the video works great and even comes with a programmable controller. The cheaper being over $200 but can be adjusted from a flow of 200gph to over 1500 gph which is made for a tank of 2 1/2 gallons to 50 gallons (nice big scale there)
As for keeping a QT. It doesn't need to be as large as the DT, but it should contain water as quality as your DT or even possibly water from your DT (when its in good shape not when your cleaning) so that hopefully the params are the same. Mainly it just needs to be a place where your fish can rest and recoop. Some live sand, a piece or two of Rock (could be fake if you wanted I think) and lighting isn't that important for fish but I personally like a light on mine set with a timer to get fish on a Day/night cycle.
Mainly you just want that fish to recover from its ordeal of a trip, which normally (the common time) is around 3+ weeks if your not having to medicate it for some obvious issues which could make it much longer.
just my .02

S

shrimpy brains

The rate of your return pump is going to depend on what size overflow hole you are drilling + head space for return line + turns/bends etc. Google aquarium calculaters and you should find a good application to help you determine what you need!