alot of money,what to do?

tangman99

Originally Posted by Phixer
Everytime I see that avitar it makes me laugh. A pissed off crab :hilarious thats funny.
Yeah looks like Little Mermaid's "Sabastian" had --- with "Oscar the Grouch"

crox

Was an estate tax return filed? The 500k left to you and your sister is subject GST tax!!!!

crox

Originally Posted by coachKLM
oh yeah if you want to help someone out you should donate to the wounded warrior project that helps disabled vets like myself...and dont forget about the gift tax on anything over 100,000 $ ) i do believe....
i was wrong....you can be taxed on anything over the first $11,000
It's $12,000 and he doesn't have to pay a gift tax on it.

rev

Nothing as far as taxes has come up yet.Since his passing,a lawyers office has called me,my dad,and sister.There is some probate things that have to be settled first they say,but May 12th is when we have the reading of the will.
The laywers said we should have a lawyer,and an accountant be present.My dad already knows that gramps left him his 200+ acres in Vermont,and both houses here.But as far as
moneterial assests,no one really knows yet.
Now that everything is starting to settle,I still feel funny by being "handed" money,or anything else.My gramps and I loved to work outside,and in the woodshop.All I want is his woodchipper,and the wood lathe.(But will take whatever I get)
I heard a few tv reports from Ct. about a little girl who has Leukemia,and they keep having these small fundraisers for her healthcare.They were so happy to raise $2500 for her,I think I will do something there (trip to Disneyworld for her and the family or something).
But May 12th I'll let you all know.

tangman99

Yeah, that's what I look for when I donate my money. I give to a local cancer fund here in town that helps children with cancer at our local hospital. They put together information packages for the family and offer financial help and counseling so the family can focus their attantion on the bad news they just received. The last thing they need to worry about is how to afford a hotel room so they can be close to their child while they are in treatment. It's a very worthy cause that make me feel like I'm making a difference. I'm not a religious person so instead of giving to a church, this is what I do.

crox

Originally Posted by Rev
The laywers said we should have a lawyer,and an accountant be present.

Do you have a CPA?

rev

My dad does.I use her as our financial advisor for 401,roth and other things as well.

ross

You dont sound like you really need the money, but there are tons of people out there who do. Help someone out. Ya know what they say what goes around comes around!

turningtim

Rev, so sorry, hope all is well with you and yours.
My wifes Omi died (Grandmother) several years ago and left her some money. We thought long and hard and finally took a trip to Germany here she had come from. Saw the places she lived before the war and even meet some of her friends while we were there. It was a wonderful trip and a lasting memory for my wife and her mother, also myself.
I agree with the above in socking some away. But take the family somewhere they will never forget and have fond memories about your Grandfather.
So Sorry
Tim

crox

Originally Posted by Rev
My dad does.I use her as our financial advisor for 401,roth and other things as well.

Ok. I hope she's good!!!

misfit

Rev,
So sorry for your loss, I too lost my grandma, the morning after Christmas.How wonderful to have a great Christmas day with all your family and then to go to your nice comfy bed and peacefully pass on.That was the one thing I found comfort in.She was like my mother ,she helped raise me .I know that you feel funny about the money -I did too. I know how much she loved my children,husband and myself and she wanted it that way,so i accepted it.As children and grandchildren, do not pay an inhertiance tax, the only tax the estate might have to pay is if the money was in U.S. bonds ,but that will be done before you get your share.Again ,Remember the good times with him and he will live on in your heart forever.
Wendy

rev

Well,today was the day for 2231243534545 lawyers,accountants,and other people to read the willl,and other things.My sister and I were given $625,000 each.My sister also was left my grandfathers house in Vermont.I also received 100+ acres,and anything I wanted from his wood shop.
My dad received the rest of the estate,which is close to 3 million.We went and had lunch,and my dad who already has a nice house and everything,is thinking about donating the house to kids with cancer,or something like that.Maybe turn it into a nice rehab area...who knows.But all in all,I still wish my gramps was still here.

misfit

It's really very sad o lose someone so close to you but maybe ,you'll be able to make something good out of it.And what abetter way to honnor someone's memory,by helping others in need.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by Rev
,I still wish my gramps was still here.

AMEN to that.........I would turn everything back for one more breakfast at IHOP (his fav) with my grandpa !!