Alternative for Metal Halide?

rhomer

A couple of points here to my 2 cents in.
First point, if you want to keep corals and not worry about your lighting why spend $150 dollars on VHO or pc or t5 when you can spend $175 and get mh when you compare total watts to total watts in terms of price your speaking about a very similar price. No one is going to tell you you can't keep this or that coral if you have MH. If you can't afford to get it now then save your pennies, otherwise you will spend money now and regret it later. You won't regret getting metal halids.
There are plenty of sites out there that you can get dual pfo 175 or 250 watt ballasts for $150 add your bulbs in for 60 each and your talking about 300 dollars for all the parts to build your own. Take a look in the classifieds you can usually get ballasts for under a hundred if you look close.
There are always folks that are going to tell you can keep this clam or that coral under PC's or T5's, but you will always have that doubt. Just save up and get the better lights.
Rob

fisherson

I think High Pressure sodium has more lumens to watts but i don't think they come in the spectrum opf light we look for in the hobby

evanish

Originally Posted by Denman
anyone heard of halogens? theyre strong lights similar to metal halides but cheaper.
Won't work for reef tanks. They will just cause a crap load of algae.

saltfan

You can piece together your MH set up, one thing at a time. The most expensive thing your going to buy is the ballast, and thats the same for VHO and HO. The MH Mogal for the bulb does not cost that much, neither does the reflector. Its the Ballast. Do yourself a favor, don't look for a fixture to buy, this is not necessary. And for all that are interested.....A VHO Ballast will light a HO fixture....Just my 2 cents...But if he's looking for a good deal I can tell him where to get a VHO set up in peieces with URI 180 refelctive bulbs, sockets and Ice Cap Ballast for a grand total of ...... $280....
Oh my bad, and thats the cost of a 72" set up, cheaper if he wants shorter bulbs....

bdubbya

Originally Posted by unleashed
they are def not a cheep fixture try the clasified section 1st and possibly a google search for discount pricing. look for electronic ballest they run cooler and cost less to run than magnetic.bulbs rang from 89 dollars and up each

Just wanted to let you know that electronic don't cost any less to run than magnetic. A 250 watt ballast will use 250 watts whether it's magnetic or electronic. Energy use by a given ballast is aproximate, it could pull more or less than specified.
Bdubbya

saltfan

Originally Posted by Bdubbya
Just wanted to let you know that electronic don't cost any less to run than magnetic. A 250 watt ballast will use 250 watts whether it's magnetic or electronic. Energy use by a given ballast is aproximate, it could pull more or less than specified.
Bdubbya
Yes, good point. But magnetic ballasts suck. And don't last very long, thus that is why they are cheaper.

bdubbya

Saltfan, I have to disagree with you. Magnetic ballast don't suck . If something breaks down on them you can easily take them apart and replace the defective part. If an electronic ballast quits working you can try changing the fuse, if that doesn't fix it then you will probably have to replace the ballast. I've used both electronic and magnetic ballast for several years now. To say one is better than the other wouldn't be an accurate descrption. I'm not attempting to flame you saltfan, I just think you might have been misinformed on the different ballast types.
Bdubbya

saltfan

Not misinformed. I am a building maintenance supervisor. I have dealt with both for 22 years. This info comes first hand from a guy who can fix and or replace them with my eyes closed. Electonic ballasts out last magnetic ballasts 5-1.
No flaming taken. ***)