Alternatives for Topoffs and Water Changes

bheron

To do my water changes I usually run out to Walmart and purchase 15 one gallon jugs of water. I also purchase a bunch each week for top offs. Now that its so dry I’ m going through so many 1 gallon jugs a week this is getting ridiculous.
I was wondering what my alternatives are?
I don’t want to use tap water or water conditioner.
I’ve heard about these RO/DI units. Can they also be used to create water for topoffs and water changes?
I even thought about buying the water in bulk.
Any suggestions?

birdy

RODI water is about the best you can get. If you can find a place that sells it in larger quanities you wouldn't have to buy so much. A lot of LFS sell it. I have a RODI unit. I store pure water and makeup water in trash cans, HTH

steve40

Definately get the r/o unit, you can pick one up from home depot for about $75. i get water from walmart but its not that big of a bill cause its just a 40 gallon tank and for a gallon its just 58 cents, but as soon as i upgrade i definately need one of those filters. Definately a good investment IMO. to use for top offs just fill up a bucket from the filter and pour it into the tank.

I have a ro/di unit in my hosue for drinking water and I just fill a 30 gallon trash can for 1 day. Fills it up all the way in like 6-8 hours. Then I add the salt and put in a pump for 1 day for it to cycle it and make salt water!

baddboyzz

bheron save yourself alot of time and money and get a Reverse Osmosis system,they are very easy to hook up,i had my 15 year old son do mine for me lol.
i put my water in a $8.00

[hr]
30 gallon trash can and it works great,get one and your fish will love you more then walmart.

Many of us got our RO/DI units from this supplier:
www.airwaterice.com
I got my from them off of ----. I really like it. It was super easy to hook up (they sell an adapter that lets me thread it to my laundry tub faucet, same as garden hose faucet). I just let it fill a large plastic garbage can for a few hours once a week or so. That gives me enough for top-offs during the week. My back wouldn't tolerate me hauling the water from the store. Check around for prices, models. It really is the way to go.
Good Luck,
-Christine
:)

mr_bubbles

Your LFS most of the time will also sell a tap water filtermade to remove impuritys from tap water. RO however provides your whole family with better water.