Alveopora vs. Goniopora

candycane

Ok, so I hear that Gonioporas die within about a year. But I have known people that have had them live up to 3-4 years and going. Now I am wondering about Alveoporas. Do they have the same reputation that gonioporas do? Because I have never heard.

mr. guitar

I think Alveoporas are pretty easy to care for. I feed mine with Phyto-Feast and it seems to love that stuff. I've had mine for a year and it's still doin good. A little part of mine died off and it's growin back. If you have any more questions just ask away.

zanoshanox

I have a goniopora that i've had for about 6 months and i've been feeding it DT's and it super healthy. People say they like oyster eggs the best though, so thats they best way to have luck with them.

xrayman

I have had my Alveopora for 7 months doing great.All i do is 10% water changes weekly I have not fed mine since i have had it and it is doing unbelieveabe.

S

slofish

Originally Posted by candycane
Ok, so I hear that Gonioporas die within about a year. But I have known people that have had them live up to 3-4 years and going. Now I am wondering about Alveoporas. Do they have the same reputation that gonioporas do? Because I have never heard.

I think this is a goniopora :notsure: .... ive had this for about 2+ years now.. still going strong. There was a bit of receding about a year ago, but it's slowed and about stopped now.
Its only about 1/3 opened in this pic

pyro

I thought Goni's and Avei's both looked like what is commonly refered to as a 'pipe organ' coral or moreso a 'flowerpot' coral. The one pictures above seems to be a torch/frogspawn type deal.
If you do some reasearch or searching on these boards, you'll find that I'm pretty sure both of them have a poor track record. They appear to be very healthy for long periods of time, then randomly die off very quickly. Many people have done work on them. Just put them in the search bar and read on =)
Good Luck =)

john kelly

Originally Posted by SLOFish
I think this is a goniopora :notsure: ....
How many tentacles does it have at the end of each polyp?
24 = Goniopora
12 = Alveopora
It looks pretty interesting. Can you get a clearer pic?

S

slofish

Originally Posted by John Kelly
How many tentacles does it have at the end of each polyp?
24 = Goniopora
12 = Alveopora
It looks pretty interesting. Can you get a clearer pic?
threads a bit old, but finally figured it out
.. 24 tentacles... definitely a goniopora..