Alveopora

cajamajo

I cant take a pict but can anyone help me. I was at my lfs, but keep in mind it is also a gun store. I saw a piece of coral they did not know what it was. It was bushy and looked like zoos on the end of stalks. I went ahead an purchased it for 25.00. I went through this web site, and tried to figure out what it was. It looks like aveopora. When the fs bagged it he took his hands around it and it went back into what looked like a 3" done shaped stone. I know you should not buy thing with out knowing what they are but the price was right. Dose this sound like a aveopora to anyone?

rykna

Sounds like gonipora.....does it look like this?????? :notsure:Or this....
Alveopora Coral, Branched
(Alveopora sp.)
Click here for a larger image
Quick Stats
Care Level: Moderate
Light: Moderate
Water Flow: Low
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Color Form: Green, Tan, White
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Ideal Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Origin: Indonesia
Family: Poritidae
The Branched Alveopora Coral is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral also referred to as the Alveopora Daisy, Flowerpot, Sunflower, or Ball Coral. The flower references are due to its appearance when all of its polyps are open. It then takes on the visage of a bouquet of flowers. It has 12 tentacles on each polyp and is often green; when displayed under actinic lighting, it will glow.
It is not an overly aggressive coral, but space should still be provided between itself and other corals. Its polyps can extend far past its base into the reef aquarium, where it can sting other species of corals. Clownfish are in direct association with the Branched Alveopora Coral and will often play in its polyps if no anemone can be found in the reef aquarium. Being easier to care for than Goniopora, any of the Alveopora species make a good alternate for the novice reef aquarist, who is seeking a coral similar to the hard to maintain Goniopora. The Branched Alveopora Coral requires low to moderate lighting combined with low water movement. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.
They need lots of light and need to be feed DT algae. Flower pots are very very fussy critters.

cajamajo

I went on ---- and found a pic. It looks like this but much bigger. I guess it is alveopora. Can anybody give me any tips on it.

rykna

I had 2 gonipora, one daisy one flowerpot.....they did great....I fed them dt algae and keep them both mid tank. They are doing fine.

cajamajo

It is the second pic. It is huge when it opens all the way. The lfs said it came in extra with an order.

rykna

WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I fed my gonaporas almost daily. They take a lot of extra attention, but their beautiful. They need a lot of nutrients to stay healthy and that is hard to provide in a tank. Most people have not had a lot of luck with them, they tend to do well for 6-7 months and then die. To me, that is a sign that the critter is starving to death.I got mine to push the limits and try to understand more about the animal. Their filter feeders so they can't eat brine shrimp or other meaty foods, so I fed my a variety of liquid foods DT being my number one choice. Good Luck

cajamajo

The lfs said they have been blowing reef plankton on it, and using coralife invertebrate smorgasbord. Does that sound good?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by cajamajo
I was at my lfs, but keep in mind it is also a gun store. I saw a piece of coral they did not know what it was....

I LOVE the Deep South. I don't even think we have that combination in Texas (although we did have a Gun/Knife/Lingerie store.) Surpisingly they went out of business.

cajamajo

Ya you have to love the south. Keep in mind I am from the chiago area. Not than I am saying anything is wrong with the south. Yukna, I measured the base of the alveopora it is 4 1/2". Please get back to me about the feeding