Am I expecting??? HELP!!!

fishyfun

:help:
I have just recently found a clear ball shaped cluster of white specks - around 3cm in diameter (the ball shape that is!) - on the algae weed on the bottom of my saltwater tank. It looks like some sort of eggs but not ever seeing anything like this before I am unsure as to what to do...
The only pair of fish I have in the tank are some clowns but through researching the net their eggs are very different in appearance and the male should be guarding them! The only fish that seems to be guarding these egg like things is the purple tang I have... but besides a blue tang and a lemonpeel tang - what the hell could it have mated with?
The other creatures in the tank are a dotty back, coral beauty, snowflake eel & crabs.
Has anyone any idea what I should be doing? Could the purple tang have even created this? What do their eggs look like anyway? The ball type cluster is swaying in the current and connected with clear type threads with the white specks in the hundreds. I hope this makes sense... it is starting to lose its ball type shape over the last day or so but is still connected and swaying!
The tank is about 1 year old and all levels are accurate with all testing from the kits.
Any advice would be appreciated...
:notsure:

55gsw

Not tang eggs....tangs are broadcast scatterers so their eggs would not be attached to anything. Clown eggs are bright orange and are laid individually on a surface not in a cluster. Not the crab either as they hold their eggs until hatching. My guess is some sort of snail or other creature that came in on your rock that you might not know about!

mandysam

I might be way out of the park here but could it be some type of sponge? There is a picture in the hitch hiker thread that looks semilar to what you are describing. :D

fishyfun

Thanks for the reply guys...
No need to worry now as it was either eaten or just disappeared!
Sounded like it may have not been babies anyway - may have proved a tastier meal anyway! :eek:
:happyfish