Am I Not Getting Somethin???

anthony17

OK, everyone on here talks about how expensive this hobby is... i only have a FOWLR tank 55gal with a overflow, sump/fuge, protien skimmer,RO/DI unit and all the good but is it cheap from here??? what is so expensive after you buy all the stuff you need to start a tank i know the reef tanks you need the lighting and coral and stuff but what is it they buy every month that they need a budget for??? i have the 55gal tank with about 55lbs of LR ,LS , 3 fish plan on getting a few more. but what is it people keep buying that i am not???
HOPEFULLY THIS ALL MAKES SINCE....

nm reef

After the equipment is purchased the monthly maintenance on a fish only will be very little.

murph

After things are setup equipped and stocked expenses will include.
Salt mix for weekly water changes.
Food; pretty cheap a little goes a long way
Replacing bulbs in fixture every six to eight months for reef tank.
Added electric use.
Added water use if using own RO/DI. Water purchases from store if not.
Any additives you may need.
It will probably be far less than your cable bill every month and from what I have seen on cable TV these days your better off just looking at the tank

washowi

Originally Posted by ANTHONY17
OK, everyone on here talks about how expensive this hobby is... i only have a FOWLR tank 55gal with a overflow, sump/fuge, protien skimmer,RO/DI unit and all the good but is it cheap from here??? what is so expensive after you buy all the stuff you need to start a tank i know the reef tanks you need the lighting and coral and stuff but what is it they buy every month that they need a budget for??? i have the 55gal tank with about 55lbs of LR ,LS , 3 fish plan on getting a few more. but what is it people keep buying that i am not???

If thats all you want out of the hobby. Let's put it this way. I have a 90G Reef tank. The lights cost $900. The calcium reactors, The Neilson Reactor, The sump, the Chiller at $500 to cool the tanks, The $200 mystery wrasses that I never see, The $50 fire shrimp that I get a glimse at once in a while. 120 pounds of Live rock at $6 a pound...
Dude I could go on and on....Like I said, I have a 90, and a 24G and a 12G.
I have well over $15,000 in this hobby!!! and still going.
If you want a betta tank, that's cheap..a reef tank that is healthy and growing, welcome to poverty.
Todd

aufishman

Originally Posted by ANTHONY17
People buy a lot of things they don't really need. It's like going to buy a car. While you cane drop $50K for a loaded ride, the stripped down model that goes for $20K is still going to get you from point A to point B. You can make a filter yourself for $50 or less in parts that will work just as well as any high dollar wet dry filter on the market. It all depends on what you want out of it. Some of the coral ---- gets expensive because of the lighting requirements. I've got no desire to deal with any of that crap. The most expensive part of my setup is the tank and cabinets. I use aged tap water. I always have for FW and marine. I've had no problems. Tap water is regulated and thoroughly scrutinized and tested. The same can not be said for water you get from Wal Mart. There’s no need to make the hobby more difficult than it needs to be. The majority of the fish you are going to find at LFS’ are pretty hardy. The one thing I would not skimp on is setting up a QT tank. Unless you’re

[hr]
about corals and delicate inverts you can do well on the cheap (esp if you can find a used tank).

maxalmon

I can always find something else to purchase
It's an expensive hobby because most people tend to upgrade the system as time goes by, I've already upgraded my lights to the tune of $700 and my reef tank has only been up a couple of weeks. Now It looks like i'm gona get a bigger tank which means that I will need bigger lights
more LR :joy: more LS :joy: more corals :joy: and lot more money :help:

washowi

Originally Posted by AUFishman
People buy a lot of things they don't really need. It's like going to buy a car. While you cane drop $50K for a loaded ride, the stripped down model that goes for $20K is still going to get you from point A to point B. You can make a filter yourself for $50 or less in parts that will work just as well as any high dollar wet dry filter on the market. It all depends on what you want out of it. Some of the coral ---- gets expensive because of the lighting requirements. I've got no desire to deal with any of that crap. The most expensive part of my setup is the tank and cabinets. I use aged tap water. I always have for FW and marine. I've had no problems. Tap water is regulated and thoroughly scrutinized and tested. The same can not be said for water you get from Wal Mart. There’s no need to make the hobby more difficult than it needs to be. The majority of the fish you are going to find at LFS’ are pretty hardy. The one thing I would not skimp on is setting up a QT tank. Unless you’re

[hr]
about corals and delicate inverts you can do well on the cheap (esp if you can find a used tank).
There ya go -you do everything I would never do. But it works - great, I WANT those coral. As for making it yourself- of course you can. It's a hobby. But my tanks are in the living room so I would never have any rubbermaid tub sumps. and thing stacked on milk crates. so my side of it is expensive. Everything is hidden. Just want you want to make of it.
Tap water __ I would never use that. Buy a $200 RO/DI and make your own water. I have 20G rubbermaid cans in the garage and always have RO/DI and Saltwater ready. Cost nothing. And better for you tank.