Amazing creature AT NIGHT!

weatherman

I see glowing eyes in my tank late at night when I shine a flash light in a coral tank. It appears to be the shrimp crawling around. I also saw something that looked like it came out of the movie "The Blob"....I saw something black, about an 1" in diameter, slivering around on the sand and disspearing back into the rocks...

I have NO idea what that could have been but it's almost 'spooky' to look into the tank late at night. I have a 150 gallon reef tank and am frequently surprised what 'pops up' occasionally.
Neat though, isn't it?

drew2005

Originally Posted by weatherman
I see glowing eyes in my tank late at night when I shine a flash light in a coral tank. It appears to be the shrimp crawling around. I also saw something that looked like it came out of the movie "The Blob"....I saw something black, about an 1" in diameter, slivering around on the sand and disspearing back into the rocks...

I have NO idea what that could have been but it's almost 'spooky' to look into the tank late at night. I have a 150 gallon reef tank and am frequently surprised what 'pops up' occasionally.
Neat though, isn't it?
I fit look slike a shrimp then its probably a mantis shrimp. I believe there is one species of mantis that glows. Do you hear clicking noises after lights out?

weatherman

Why is a flat worm BAD NEWS. The tank looks absolutely fantastic and have NOT (knock on wood) had any problems. The shrimp(?) has eyes that 'glow' when a light shines at them, don't know what the black, quarter size, object is slivering in the background.
I thought is was dirt, or algae, at first until I saw it move back into the rocks.

rbaldino

Why is a flat worm BAD NEWS. The tank looks absolutely fantastic and have NOT (knock on wood) had any problems. The shrimp(?) has eyes that 'glow' when a light shines at them, don't know what the black, quarter size, object is slivering in the background.
I thought is was dirt, or algae, at first until I saw it move back into the rocks.
Just do a search for flatworms. I had one in my tank which went on a snail killing spree.

promisetbg

The black thing could be a scutus, aka elephant slug. The eyes that glowed, were they from something very tiny swimming around?

skipperdz

i had a bristleworm in my tank that looked like it may cause a problem...but then grumpy the coral banded shrimp found him...that was a nice thanksgiving dinner for him

sigmachris

I also saw something that looked like it came out of the movie "The Blob"....I saw something black, about an 1" in diameter, slivering around on the sand and disspearing back into the rocks...

I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago...turned out to be the shadow of my clown who swam through the moon lights.