Ammonia 0, Nitrite >3.3, End cycle?

pelena

What the heck. I guess I should of done the dead shrimp thing. Trying to cycle a tank and it's taking forever. I have a 55 gal tank, LS, LR (maybe only 25 lbs right now). The tank has 5 small (1.5 in) silvery fish, and 5 sm hermits that I got from a tide pool. Oh, the LR was uncured and was hoping to use it to encourage the cycle. All of the fish seem very healthy. The tank has been set up for about 1.5 mo (although I changed to LS, took out the UG filter, and added the LR, 2.5 weeks ago). Should I wait, remove the living and replace with dead shrimp, add a good cleaning crew, or ???

pjmumie

Whoa! I'm very surprised that you put UNCURED rock into your tank that has fish and inverts and I'm surprised they are not dead after being in there 2.5 weeks with your new rock.
The pros will have more suggestions for you - but if you want to try to do the shrimp to cycle your tank, you should remove your fish and hermits so you don't kill them as your levels spike.
You will add the living fish and add your cleanup crew AFTER the cycle is over - your cycle will be over when your ammonia and nitrites are at ZERO? I assume you are checking your levels frequently.
:scared:

jcarroll

Having fish in there will cycle your tank, so I don't see any need to add a shrimp. My tank just finished cycling after about 6 weeks. Your addition of live rock may have started your cycle over a little. Normally, you shouldn't add any kind of crabs or snails or anything until after your tank has finished its cycle, so don't buy anymore until all of your levels are back down to zero. If everything reaches zero and your nitrate level is elevated, then you can do a 7-10% water change and at that point can add your cleaning crew.