Ammonia cycle question.

gate2wire

Ammonia is at .55. I the Put shrimp in four days ago, and Ammonia seems to have peaked. Ph is between 8.1-8.2, Nitrite is at .25, and nitrate is 15. What kind of shape am I in? Should I keep shrimp in, or take them (two)out? Tank is 92gal. Any input would be appreciated. Now have 20lb live rock, 40lb live sand, and 60+ lb base rock.

splash

I am no expert, but you should have levels of 0 for ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. Nitrate can be a bit more forgiving. The readings you have are bad. You need to be patient and wait!

salty cheese

IMO I don't think it really matters, some people leave them in for a week, but if the ammonia has spiked I think it would be ok to take it out. It's not going to make the cycle happen any faster.

gate2wire

Originally posted by splash
I am no expert, but you should have levels of 0 for ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. Nitrate can be a bit more forgiving. The readings you have are bad. You need to be patient and wait!

i'M NOT ADDING ANYTHINGFOR A WHILE, JUST WAS WONDERING WHERE i AM IN MY CYCLE. dID YOU START YOUR CYCLE W/ SHRIMP? i'M 4 DAYS INTO MY CHCLE, HOW MUCH LONGER TILL I SEE THINGS EVEN OUT?

gate2wire

Originally posted by Salty Cheese
IMO I don't think it really matters, some people leave them in for a week, but if the ammonia has spiked I think it would be ok to take it out. It's not going to make the cycle happen any faster.

Not looking to speed up the cycle. You have given me good advice in the past, I appreciate it. I will leave the shrimp in for a few more day till I get the levels right. What kind of Beer saly? I'm a beer fan myself.:)

zanemoseley

I assume your talking about cocktail shrimp to start the cycle. You're fine to take them out, they're only there to provide enought ammonia to start the cycle. You actually don't even need to throw in a shrimp if you're using uncured LR it will start the cycle when the stuff that didn't make it through transit decays and produces ammonia.

gate2wire

Yep coctail shrimp it is two of them. If all is good, is it ok to add cleaner crew and chromis the first week of sep?

ross

It will be ok to add a chromis when your ammonia and nitrite are zero...the cleaner shrimp might want to wait for a couple weeks....they can be a little bit tough.

zanemoseley

You definately want to wait on the cleaner crew till you get your nitrates down to at least 20 and nitrites and ammonia of zero. Be aware a chromis may be aggressive toward future fish, I'd consider a more friendly fish.