Ammonia dont go down?

ratpack

i made some water change after i hcekc my ammonia and it still in 1ppm. i change 25% of the water and the ammonia is
to me. what can i do. is 1ppm too high?:scared:

bsktmom

Ammonia is supposed to be 0. I have heard of some test kits that continually give wrong numbers. What kind of test kit do you have? How long has your tank been set up? Have you finished your cycle? What are your other parameters? Do you have any fish or inverts in your aquarium? Just some more info will help everyone to know how to help you.

ratpack

her eoms info of my tank:
it is a 55g
i have a Pro Clean Aquatic System Wet/dry
550 GPH
2 50/50watt compact fluorescent
i water chemistry was alway
SG 1.022
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 0ppm
right now my water paremeters is
SG - 1.022
PH - 8
Ammonia - 1ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 0ppm
fish list:
2 clown
2 royal gramma
2 damsels
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang
1 cleaner shrimp
i yes i know about the tangs

salty rob

I know your frustration. I have been fighting mine at .25PPM for about 4 months. Ive done everything, but recently decided to make no further changes for 8 weeks and see what hapens. Down to 2 small fish, 10 snails and Mr. Crab.

ratpack

no way im not loosing a songle fish. no matter what i have to do something. my tank is now 2 month
Ammonia is the start of a nutrient problem. Fish release ammonia through their gills and urine, decaying uneaten food as well as any decaying matter contributes to further ammonia build up. The more ammonia is created, the more nitrates will be produced over time. In a balanced tank, ammonia will not be present or accumulate to dangerous levels. Lethal ammonia concentrations at a pH of 6.5 are 0.73 ppm, while at pH 8.5 only 0.17 ppm are considered lethal to inhabitants. Accumulating ammonia is a sign of an imbalanced tank. Immediate action is required.
the problem here is my PH is at 8. and at 8 i only need o.17 to kill my fish and i have 1.0ppm:scared:

bsktmom

Originally posted by RatPack
her eoms info of my tank:
fish list:
2 clown
2 royal gramma
2 damsels
1 yellow tang
1 blue hippo tang
1 cleaner shrimp
i yes i know about the tangs

:scared: This is a lot of fish for a 2 month old tank and 2 of those fish are tangs. Did you add all of your fish at once? Your biological filtration probably can't keep up with all of those fish. I am kind of new to this also but maybe someone else can tell you what you can do at this point. I know the hardest thing in this hobby is to have patience. You shouldn't add anything else and you should probably take the tangs back to the LFS. Good Luck.

ratpack

yeah i know about the tang tehy are pretty small for now until i can get a 150g. i no i didnt put them all at the same time

bsktmom

It takes about 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. You shouldn't add more than 1-2 fish at a time and then wait at least 2 weeks between additions especially on a new tank. That way your biological filtration has a chance to catch up.

ratpack

the think is the last fish i put was the cleaner shrimp 2 week ago. and it wasnt until before yesterday the ammonia came up. before that all my water parameter were perfect