Ammonia gone amok

I did 2 ammonia tests today and still my levels are toxic according to the testing kit. I did a water change the other day and "Vaccumed" my sand substrate.
I ran one test in the morning and when i got the reading, i added the recommended 5ml/10gallon of "ammolock" and when i came home today i did another test and saw little improvement but yet still toxic.
Being new to this, i thoughti had done my research but was not for warned about long periods of cycling, so i suppose i haven't properly cycled everything. But i have some red algae growth which i'm told is beneficial. My ph is healthy and my alkalinity is between low and normal. My SP is 1.024 and temp is 78
How do i rectify this....and if this is a problem of not cycling long enough....what does the future hold for my fish?
Cheers....

cprdnick

Do you already have fish in it?
The red algae, is it on the floor as well? It could be Cyanobacteria "red slime algae" and is not actually an algae. From what I've experienced with this junk it is in no way beneficial, but more a nuisance and I THINK that I read if left to itself i could kill your inhabitants.
As far as ammonia readings, what are you calling toxic levels, toxic levels could be any reading, ammonia is toxic to the inhabitants in any quantity. If you are still cycling ammonia is going to spike and could stay in one spot for a while. Also, if you are still cycling, don't add anything (ammolock) to try to bring the ammonia down, let the bacteria do it for you, you could kill or prolong the cycle by doing this.
When my tank cycled it went for 4 and a half weeks. If there is anything I have learned from the short time I've been in the hobby is that patience is definately needed, although I'm still trying to harness my patience.
BTW, IMHO I feel that vaccuming your sand is a bad idea because all I do when I think of vaccuming your sand is the majority of your little helpful bacteria swimming for their life against the current of the vaccum

thanks for the info.
I do have inhabitants in the tank. I was told to just let it run for a week or so and that i did. Then i added animals..... like i said, i thought i had done the homework but apparently not well enough (ironically). So i do have 2 fish a crab, shrimp and anemone.....any suggestions as to how to keep the animals alive while the tank cycles. I was not informed about the pro-long cycling period when i decided on this.
The red algae seems to have disappeared actually.
I vacuumed the sand cos there was food and waste in teh sand...so i suppose i shouldn't do that and let nature take its course?
Cheers

T

thomas712

Ouch :eek:
How long has this tank been setup or cycling?
Who is telling you that red algea is a good thing? Is this algea encrusting or does it wipe right off or break apart when you touch it or point a power head toward it?
LFS giving you advice?
Anemone in a newly cycled tank is not recommended nor are any corals as the water chemistry is still unstable, better to wait for 6 months to a year before adding anemone's.
Thomas

beaslbob

As I understand it you have a 10g tank with animals and a very large ammonia spike. The best way to keep your animals (especially fish) alive is to move them to another tank that has been established. If that is not an option I would do the following immediately if not yesterday:
1) add all the plant life (macro algaes and marine plants) you can get your hands on. they abosrbe ammonia.
2) not feed the fish until both ammonia and nitrItes come down. that may take a week or two. Seems cruel but you will lose the fish anyway if you don't.
3) you also could try (if you haven't already) adding all the carbon in you filtration you can.
Please let us know what happens.
edit a lot of the ammonia could be from the anemone

jackdp

If you don't have anywhere else to keep your critters while the tank cycles or you cannot take them back then you may want to try one of those cycling "jumpstart" products. I've never used them and they get mixed reviews from those who have. I think my LFS recommends one called Biospora, they contain bacterial cultures that may shorten the cycling time. Make sure you get one for saltwater.

nacl-man

May be a good idea to post the specs of your tank (size/equipment/substrate/biofilter) to get a better idea of what may be causing this. How long has the tank been setup?

dreeves

Even with using the Ammo-Lock..you will still get the amonia readings...the ammonia after the ammo-lock is still present...just not supposed to be in a toxic form...