Ammonia in QT

srfisher17

There have been a few threads concerned with ammonia build up in QT; a common problem with most QT set-ups. Here's my solution, I've been doing this for years.
Use a HOB filter, I like Aqua-Clear because the sponges are so big. Keep a spare sponge (or 2) somewhere in the filter/sump area of your DT. Do not use the carbon or ceramic media that comes with the filter. If the filter is big enough, it will provide good surface turbulence and water movement and a PH may not be needed. When you put fish into the QT, put a sponge from your DT system into the HOB filter. You now have a functional bio-filter that will eliminate ammonia and nitrite. When done, just toss the sponge, they're cheap, and use a new one from your DT next time.
I almost always use copper (SeaChem Cupramine) and a de-wormer in QT. I remove the de-wormer with carbon and the copper with SeaChem Cuprisorb. I'm not promoting this method, but (IMO & IME) it is very effective and safe; if the copper is properly monitored with a SeaChem copper test kit. DO NOT USE COPPER WITH INVERTS! The Cupramine will kill some of the bio-filter; but not enough of it it to render it ineffective. I talked to SeaChem tech support about this and they consider Cupramine to be bio-filter safe; my testing confirms this.

naclh2o nut

So you leave the HOB on the QT tank even when tank is fishless? Then move sponge over for fish. Thats cool. I was just thinking leave the HOB on DT. Then move all of it over. Just thinking why not have more filteration on DT if not needed else where.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2978876
So you leave the HOB on the QT tank even when tank is fishless? Then move sponge over for fish. Thats cool. I was just thinking leave the HOB on DT. Then move all of it over. Just thinking why not have more filteration on DT if not needed else where.
Sure, I just toss the sponge and let the filter keep tyhe water circulating, top off as needed. Using the HOB on your DT would work; but you'd have to completely dry and/or sterilize the HOB unit after using it in QT if you moved it back to DT. I think the size of your DT would also be a factor; you don't want to remove too much filter media if your DT depends on it. Usually, with enough LR, that shouldn't be a problem. I would never return any filter media; sponge, ceramic, or carbon to the DT.

naclh2o nut

Good thought. I had not thought about the cleaning the inside of the HOB. Was just thinking of discarding the filter media. That is why we are here, live and learn- and maybe just maybe learn and live.