ammonia spike what to do..

espkh9

ok i have 2 5 year old clownfish i just recently purchased and are prooven breeders they came with a BTA...the anemone did not survive the acclimation period. but i thought i would try to give him a chance under MH lighting but he was clearly dead...however the anemone was put into the 10 gallon tank with the clowns briefly and the rock it was on with tiny pieces of it remained in the tank for 2 days...i just did an ammonia test for the 10 gallon tank with just the 2 clowns femal 3 inches male 2 1/4 inches.. and it was 3.0 the only reason i think they lived is because they are old 5 years and have a good immune system maybe...the nirtrites were 0.2, being that i have not delt with such a small tank in so long im a bit confused... i did a 50% water change..and the ammonia after 10 min was 0.5..maybe tomorrow it will be 0 as it needs to filter i have a cheap HOB filter for a 20 gallon tank and all will be OK...I used water from my established 2 year old reef tank and put in the same water into the tank where the Larve are gona go..the ammonia in that tank was absolute 0..im attributing the spike from the dead bta...
so what do i do ? the ammonia now after the 50% water change is 0.5 certainly tolerable untill tom. when i check again..since they made it 2 days with 3.0 ammonia, or if it is not 0 i can just transfer them (the clowns) to the other 10 gallon tank....where the params are perfect. can someone make sense of this ..i just have not used a 10 gallon tank in years.

sepulatian

You are putting a mated pair of clowns, both of which are over 2", into a ten gallon tank? WHY? Was this tank cycled? Apparently not. Why would you do that? They are not going to spawn after being shoved into a tiny tank with the water quality foul.

espkh9

i was told 10 gallons was fine, the water was from my 2 year old reef and pristine, they have plenty of room the ammonia is atributed to the dead bta as my other 10 gallon with the same exact water reads 0..so the water is fine.
it was cycled for 2 years.
the question is how did they live for 2 days with the ammonia at 3 and now that its 0.5..for now i will test tom i did a 50 % water change will it go down to 0.. since the water needs time to circulate ?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2619389
i was told 10 gallons was fine, the water was from my 2 year old reef and pristine, they have plenty of room the ammonia is atributed to the dead bta as my other 10 gallon with the same exact water reads 0..so the water is fine.
it was cycled for 2 years.
the question is how did they live for 2 days with the ammonia at 3 and now that its 0.5..for now i will test tom i did a 50 % water change will it go down to 0.. since the water needs time to circulate ?
I understand that the water from your display was fine, two fish that equal six inches of clown in a ten gallon is NOT fine. The BTA was dead, I am not sure why you left it in, but it isn't there anymore right? What does your other ten gallon have to do with anything? What was cycled for two years? The ten that the clowns are in? How did they live? Well, you said that they were healthy clowns. Their gills have been damaged. Damaged gills cannot be repaired. How much bad advice are you going to take from your "friends" at the LFS? A ten gallon for these guys? Seriously?

espkh9

what are you talking about i spoke to ppl direct from breeding farms.. thats wherei bought the instant algae and greenwater (live phytoplankton) i dont go to the LFS.. i took out the BTA immediately and its more like 5 inches in 10 gallons with 1 small rock and a ceramic tile 3x3 they have enough room. please i spoke to 3 profession breeding companies. and in the clownfishes book it clearly states 10 gallonsis enough..i was wrong the fish are not 6 inches they are just fat..togethr 5 inches... and like i said with 1 rock and nothing else in the tank the rock is the size of a tennis ball..there is plenty of room.

espkh9

can u just answer 1 question is that even possible how long can a bag of live pods and rotifers last in the beg at room temp b4 dying thats it.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2619419
can u just answer 1 question is that even possible how long can a bag of live pods and rotifers last in the beg at room temp b4 dying thats it.
Don't you have a tank set up for them? I can swear that you said that you did. If you do then add them to that tank. BTW, demanding answers will get you nowhere.

espkh9

i have 10 bags add all of them ? im not setup yet to feed them with greenwater until next wed.
so im wondering do i leave them out or pour them all into the 10 gallon tank,i poured 1 bag of rotifers in so far and am using phytoplex dead phyto plankton do sustain them until i make green water on wed when i get the materials...pouring in 9 bags of rotifers could have them starve since i dont have the food source to feed them...or leaving them out by room temp can kill them as well... so what should i do i obey whatver you say...just tell me im not demanding because im done arguing with u from now on whatver you say i will do if you tell me i need a 400 gallon tank for my purple tang ill go buy it money is no issue. so ur the boss and i will listen to whatver u say its too tiring to argue with you because you know everything.. and if ppl dont listen to you they get thrown offt he forum..so please tell me what to do leave the live rotifers at room temp in the bags they came in or dump them all in.. and not have enough food to feed them until wed. whatver you say goes.