ammonia spike

deedeez

my ammonia is at .25 it has been at this level for a few weeks i have done 3 5 gal water changes and no change any other sugestions? is ther an additive i can put in to get rid of it?
all other test are fine I have 6 fish in 55 gal with 70lbs lr.ls also could I be feeding to much I feed one cube a day

What are you running on your system? Filtration, skimmer, etc. What kind of fish? How long has your tank been running? If your tank has been up for a while then I would say it was feeding too much but without knowing all of the facts I couldn't tell you for sure.

frankl15207

What are the six fish? Do you have a nitrite level? What is your nitrate level? How long has the tank been set up? Are the inhabitants showing any stress? How long does it take the fish to consume what you are feeding them?
What are you adding to the tank? It's possible that the additive is causing a false reading and that you don't have any ammonia level. If the tank is still in the early stages, it may still be cyling.

barracuda

You can try to use Kent Marine's Ammonia detox. It will bring down to zero the ammo within 10-20 minutes. I used it before and it helped me. But... you should find the source for the ammonia spike.
Good luck!!!

nm reef

Just a shot in the dark here....what brand of test are you using?
Is it possible that the test result is not accurate?
I'd suggest you have your LFS run a test and compare results.
Also how long has your system been running? What are your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? :cool:

deedeez

ok this is what I have. 55 gal ,70lbs live rock 4 inch live sand bed. hang on back regimun with protien skimmer pequin bio filter 1 400 power jet
3 damsels 1 blue devil ,1yellow tail and 1 yellow
1 fire fish 1 purple fish 1 hawk fish 1 potters wrasse, 1 urchin 1 red star 1 blue linka 1 sand sifting star,1 annenomie, 1 hairy mushroom ,1 geen stiped mushroom ,3 green mushrroms ,1 flower pot , 1 fuzzy finger leather .the only one stressed out is the leather ,nitrate and nitrite are both at 0 and ph is 7.2 calcium is 400. adding kent trace element. feeding one cube a day at evening and they eat that up in a matter of seconds. thank you for any sugestions you may have to give me.also I have like a film on the top of the tank is this from not enough water flow?

deedeez

oh I also have an open brain that wasnt doing well moved it sand bed abd now its doing much better, and also I have a large green button polup rock sometimes it is hard to remember it all oh also about 7 hernit crabs ,2 emerald crabs
2 turbo snails and babies, 2 bumble bee snails. 1 cucumber see all the things i forgot to list

OK, your PH is low it should be about 8.2. That film you have on the water is bad. You should have something breaking up the surface of the water like a power head. It doesn't sound like you are overfeeding. I would do what NM reef suggested. Take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it.

deedeez

sorry ph is at 8.2 not 7.2 will add another power head and see if that takes care of the film and will also take water sample in to have tested

frankl15207

I can't tell from your inventory list what type of protein skimmer you have or where it is located (tank or sump). If it a hang on, there may be a surface skimmer box available for it. That will help to get and keep the scum off of the top of your tank. It should also help the skimmer's efficiency.

deedeez

went to lfs and had water tested they say there is a small trace of ammonia ,that I should just continue water changes .and shouldnt woory to much about it. ph is 8.2 nitrate and nitrite at o

demosthenes

My Ammonia is also at .25, but I just switched to a DSB last Saturday, is the assumption that this is the cause correct, or should I look for some other source, all livestock is accounted for. T4AH

deedeez

what is dbs excuse my ignorance but ive only been in hobby for 1yr dont know all abrivations yet all live stock accounted for.