Ammonia ?

obarrera

Originally posted by Duke13
Also, there's probably some natural ammonia in your tap water.

Tap water?
I don't use tap water....I use NSW.
What are some good ways to get rid of ammonia?

crazy4reefs

do water changes until the ammonia reads 0 and make sure there is not any dead critters in your tank.. when you do a water change you could take a turkey baster (new one) and blow off the rocks and vacuum out the debirs when you do the water change.

belothsurf

Duke!......you said poop!
He-he.....he said poop.
Anyway, Ammonia is a chemical, it results usually from a breakdown of other chemicals. It happens in us humans too, but thanks to our livers and kidneys, we dispose of it rather quickly.
Ammonia in a fish tank is usually the chemical breakdown of fish food, decaying material, and of course, fish poop. Ammonia, at high enough levels, is very deadly to fish, and also humans for that matter. Fortunately for humans, we don't live in a tiny closed ecosystem. Which is what a tank is. Fortunately for us tank lovers, certain bacteria take over and eat the ammonia, but it is a very delicate balance, hence the nitrogen cycle.
HTH :happyfish

obarrera

Originally posted by crazy4reefs
do water changes until the ammonia reads 0 and make sure there is not any dead critters in your tank.. when you do a water change you could take a turkey baster (new one) and blow off the rocks and vacuum out the debirs when you do the water change.

Can BIG water changes casue ammonia?
Just asking cause I heard that somewhere.:notsure:

obarrera

Originally posted by crazy4reefs
i dont know the answer to that but i would suggest small water changes more often.

Like 1 gallon every 2 days?

B

big911dog

most people suggest 10% per week, but that can be broken down into 5% twice a week, etc.
belothsurf....u CRACK ME UP!!!

duke13

Originally posted by belothsurf
Duke!......you said poop!

LOL, I couldn't help myself. The opportunity presented itself and I had to take advantage. :)

obarrera

Originally posted by Big911Dog
most people suggest 10% per week, but that can be broken down into 5% twice a week, etc.
belothsurf....u CRACK ME UP!!!

Right now I have a little bit of ammonia and that's why im going to start doing alot of small water changes.

dskidmore

Originally posted by obarrera
Can BIG water changes casue ammonia?
Just asking cause I heard that somewhere.:notsure:

If your tank is still cycling, big water changes can delay the cycle, prolonging the period of high ammonia. If your tank is mature, I don't see how big water changes could cause ammonia.

obarrera

Originally posted by DSkidmore
If your tank is still cycling, big water changes can delay the cycle, prolonging the period of high ammonia. If your tank is mature, I don't see how big water changes could cause ammonia.

My tank is 3 months old.

belothsurf

Water changes decrease ammonia. Water changes should be done on a regular basis, once your tank has cycled. 10-20% every week or 2 is a good rule of thumb.
If you just set up your tank, ammonia will rise until a bacteria population grows and eats it up. Then Nitrites will rise, and bacteria will grow and eat that. Then you will have no ammonia, no nitrites, and just nitrates. High nitrates are bad but not usually harmful to fish. Not good for corals though. Water changes will keep nitrates low, and replinish other minerals and stuff.

obarrera

Originally posted by belothsurf
Water changes decrease ammonia. Water changes should be done on a regular basis, once your tank has cycled. 10-20% every week or 2 is a good rule of thumb.
If you just set up your tank, ammonia will rise until a bacteria population grows and eats it up. Then Nitrites will rise, and bacteria will grow and eat that. Then you will have no ammonia, no nitrites, and just nitrates. High nitrates are bad but not usually harmful to fish. Not good for corals though. Water changes will keep nitrates low, and replinish other minerals and stuff.

So my damn tank could still be cycling?
I've been doing about 12% water changes every week that's why I don't understand why I have ammonia,and I know my bioload is not that big.

B

big911dog

ayup....water changes aren't usually done during cycling (although I have heard of people doing it). after the ammonia spike which goes to zero and the nitrite spike which does the same, thats when u start water changes to take the nitrates down.
:yes: