Ammonia

trigger111

I'm pretty sure that my ammonia is reading .25. What is the best way to get it out of my tank without bothering the fish?

malounsbury

Do you have any live sand or live rock in the tank? What about your nitrates and nitrites? Have you tested those? How long has your tank been running? And what fish do you have in the tank?

trigger111

I have a Salt Water Master Test Kit. The fish that I have in the tank are : Powder Blue Tang (Medium), Huma Huma, Rainbow Wrasse, Percula Clown, Tomato Clown, Blue Damsel, and African Yellow Anemone.
My No2 is 0 and my No3 reads 0. The tank was set up for two years before I got it and it has been set up for two months since I have had it. Everything is the same except I added the percula and the anemone and got rid of a valentini puffer.
Thanks for the replies!

hermitkrab

Well I don't know if you have a skimmer or not but if you don't get one ASAP. But if you do have one you may want to get a better one. Also make sure you aren't over feeding your fish. Also you may want to get better test kits such as Salifert test kits sold here they have worked fine for me. Good luck.
:happyfish

trigger111

Nope I don't have a protein skimmer....the top of my water doesn't looks ok....I didn't think that I needed one. That will help lower the amonia?

salty cheese

If the No2 and No3 are both 0 IMO you may be getting a false-positve reading, you should test the water with another brand to find out. Take a sample of your water to the lfs and have them test it.

trainfever

I have the same test kit as you and I was getting false nitrate readings because I was not shaking bottle 2 enough. You have to make sure you shake it thoroughly or you will get false readings. Shake it hard for a full minute, then put the drops in.

trainfever

To mix the contents. It tells you that right in the instructions. I'm not talking about the vial. I am talking about nitrate solution #2. Read the instructions and it will tell you to shake bottle #2 vigorously for a 30 seconds or you will get innaccurate readings.