ammonia !!!!!!!!

ca62296

help!
my ammonia levels are off the charts! all other lab values, (ph, nitrates,& nitrites)are perfect.i have changed the water in the tank(40%)of it and even syphoned the gravel- my fish are acting funny,not eating,acting depressed,etc. is there something i may be adding to my tank that might read as a "false positive" with my ammonia and i don't realize it? (such as "stress zyme", "ammo-lok",)which i do add on a regular basis. what can i do and what is causing this problem??? thanks-ca62296

hairy tang

Originally posted by ca62296:
<strong>help!
my ammonia levels are off the charts! all other lab values, (ph, nitrates,& nitrites)are perfect.i have changed the water in the tank(40%)of it and even syphoned the gravel- my fish are acting funny,not eating,acting depressed,etc. is there something i may be adding to my tank that might read as a "false positive" with my ammonia and i don't realize it? (such as "stress zyme", "ammo-lok",)which i do add on a regular basis. what can i do and what is causing this problem??? thanks-ca62296</strong><hr></blockquote>

hairy tang

Watch out that somebody isn't windexing your tank and the ammonia is getting into your tank. Very common

mr . salty

Ammo lock does NOT remove ammonia,but changes it to a less toxic form.But the ammo itself is still there...This product is not intended for prolonged or regular use,and is really only a "bandaid" covering up the problem,not solving it...Try testing your water supply for ammo.And also take a water sample from the tank to a LFS and have them test it...If ammois present in your supply,then a new source is needed...

karlas

if your ammonia is so high are you cycling the tank if so this is part of the process you have to go through. how long has the tank been set up?

ocellaris_keeper

I've used instant ocean for two years with 0 ammonia - your tank needs food!! the nitrogen cycle needs to finish - try adding some frozen brine shrimp to the tank - two or three cubes.