ammonia

indy1

I'm getting very discouraged. My ammonia is high and I'm doing water changes to help bring it down. Nothing is working... Ammonia is at .5ppm Nitrate is 0 Nitrite is 0 Any suggestions????

indy1

Originally posted by Ladd:
How long has your tank been set up,what size is it, and what is in it?

55g been set up for years had a tank wipe out not too long ago. I have cabbage leather,some kind of worm polyp, star polyps,1 clown 1 wrasse,Green brittle star blue legs, snails, 1 candylactus anemone,1 horse shoe crab

ladd

I don't know how long it has been since you "wiped out"... if it is the same set up, same rock and stuff, it was probably still covered with "death" and still has not cycled. It some tanks longer to cycle than others. In cycling first your ammonia peaks, then drops, nitrite peaks and drops then finally nitrate does the same. So with a high ammonia level and low nitrite and nitrate, to me that says that the tank has not yet cycled.

indy1

My tank wiped out about amonth ago. I just added a magnum hot pro system (canister filter 250gph and bio wheel combo). I have carbon in both filters that I have on the tank. Thanks for the help

the rock

the rock says...
add a bio booster/bacteria to the tank. get some scavengers to clean up the food and waste in the tank

harris

I agree with the rock. It sounds as though your tank is just starting it's cycle. Keep the bio wheel running- it will be a great home for your bacteria. The bio boosters are a great idea. Also if you just threw in all of the fish together, or even within a few days, your tank, could be cycled but your new load is too much. Therefore your bioload will keep up, but will take some time to regenerate, especially if your live rock may have been killed in the tnak wipe out.If you are not using live rock, go out and get some it will help. As the cleaner guys will also help and not spike your ammonia too much more because they poop small. Just give it some time, or the boosters.
good luck