ammonia

videohub

We set up our tank about 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago we had a high ammonia spike. I lost all my fish except for 1 hardy damsel. My corals seemed to be ok. We made a water change for the first time after this (25%). I have added additional filters and water circulation pumps. The ammonia went down for about 2 days, then I decided I needed more fish, went and bought 2 clowns. 1 is dead now and the ammonia is on the rise again. HELP! I have 1 clown left and the damsel. The clown hasn't eaten since I bought it 3 days ago.
95 gal tank
corals
bubble, elegant, xenia, gonaporra, mushroom
fish/vertabrea
down to 1 clown that won't eat, damsel, 2 snails, 2 cleaner shrimp
cona lactus anemone, 2 feathr dusters, couple bumble bee snails.
Is my tank not cycled yet? Will my corals be ok with the ammonia being up.
The ammonia is at .25

timsedwards

Hi there,
OK firstly I think you made a slight mistake in adding another fish so quickly, there is a tremendous bioload when you add a new living being into your tank. So adding 2 after a spike wasnt probably the best idea.
If I were you I would have done 1 25% change (as you did) and a couple of 10% each week, then if Ammonia is still low then perhaps consider adding another fish.
However, with the situation in hand i would suggest 1) set up a QT so for further emergencies you ahve somewhere to put the fish. 2) if you still have fish in there then you need to safeguard them, so the best way might risk them. Consider either frequent water changes or a chemical that eradicates Ammonia. The chemical isnt the best way but if it is that or dying fish I know which I would choose.
To help the clown eat, soak some of the food in garlic, fish cant resist garlic, it will also build up their immune system.
let us know how you get on,
Tim.

videohub

I need to know what is the best way to get the ammonia levels down. They seem to be staying at .25. Thanks Sue

fulcrum

I know this is proabably not the answer you want to hear, but to be safe I would remove the fish and use a dead shrimp to properly cycle the tank from scratch.
You might get your tank to eventually catch up with the bioload, but you will torture your fish in the mean time.

jackson_uk

yup, your corals will not like Ammonia at all. So its best to get rid of it asap.
When you done your water changes did you use RO water, or tap water?

videohub

We got the water from the tap and added declor to it. We don't have any system for that. The ammonia is now up to .50 and the other clown don't look too good. Desperately need to know how to get the ammonia down. HELP

nm reef

Stop!!!!!
In order to properly cycle a new system you need to first encourage the spike in ammonia(some folks do this with hardy species of fish...others with raw shrimp)....you want a spike in ammonia in order to initiate the cycle process. Gradually the ammonia will start to decline and nitrites will rise....as the ammonia and nitrites fall you should see a sign of developing nitrates.....when all levels stabalise at zero then you could consider your system cycled and start considering a water change and addition of corals/fish.
Water changes at this point will do nothing more than prolong the cycle. You need to remove corals immediately...they will not do well in a cycling system! Myself I'd get rid of the fish also......cycle the system with quality uncured LR and maybe a damsel. Let the process run its course...and be patient.:cool: