Amount of substrate for a 36" x 18" tank

gmann1139

I'm going to be setting up a 30g breeder (36" x 18" x 12" high). Trying to figure out how much substrate (aragonite, of course) I'm going to need. I'm not looking for a DSB, just enough to cover the bottom well.
My guess is 40 - 50 lbs, but I'm hoping someone out there has set up a 30g or 40g breeder recently and can tell me how much (and hopefully what brand) they used.

girlina4x4

just click "Live sand" on the left side of this page, there is a calculator that will tell you how much you need

gmann1139

Wow, very cool. Never realized that was there.
For a 1.25" bed, it gave me 32.8 lbs, so it looks like I was a little high, but on the right track.

one/eighth

Not to hijack this thread or anything but that calculator does not work on my CPU. Can someone find out how much pounds is needed for 48x24x6"

stanlalee

just to cover the bottom comfortably, about 15lbs. No seriously. I did a 100g (72x18" about 1/2" plus a 6gallon nano 1.5" and threw some in the sump) with 40lbs. I'm pretty sure I have no more than 10lbs in my current 30g (36x12" footprint). I have sand to spare in there. some spots are an 1" deep. You could be safe and go 20lbs.
this is what I refer too as comfortable (aka I want the look but really dont want sand). no more than 10lb (I had a 10g with about a 3" layer and lets just say I still have a 10g with at least a 1.5" layer I didn't use). and I covered the bottom with sand before I added liverock so its not like its bare under the liverock.

this was the 100g (72"x18" footprint) with 40lb box of florida live sand (its all I bought so it cant be more than that).

and I still had enough left over to do this

and a small layer over play sand in the sump

and I STILL had a litte more left over so I seriously doubt you need 40-50lbs. At most 20lbs (your tank is half the length and same width as my 100g even though I didn't use all 40lbs in it).

gmann1139

Interesting. I think I'll start with 20 - 25 lbs and see where that gets me. I can always add more if necessary.