an example of hitting the wall

T

tizzo

I will.
Here are the pics of my last 3 projects that I did without any help. The marble in the bathroom, marble sucks by the way. The cown, that's actually 3 piece. And the wood fllor that extends to the dining roo. Oh and all the quarter round that goes with it.
Next is the living room carpet, but I'll hafta hire that out.

snailheave

i spent a month renovating my garage. the tiling the floor, the painting, and throwing out stuff.
now i can work out in my garage :joy:

lovethesea

NICE !!!
Was the base board in the bathroom your doings to? Then added the quarter round today?
Thats similar to the basebaord I want to use.
Crown is beautiful. Same trim same as baseboard?? (upside down?)

T

tizzo

Yeh the y doing, but you don't wanna do that kind. It's the cheapest crap they sell. I had to do it because that's what was originally done and I wanted it to still match the rest of the house.
Then added the quarter round today?
HUH??
And the crown, no it's not the same. The hubby wanted it done in 2 seperate pieces. So it's a 1 by 3 and some base cap on the bottum, 2 seperate pieces. There's a reason I did it that way but it'd take to long to try and explain. But that's why I mentioned it was 3 piece crown.

T

tizzo

If your base looks like this, then that's the good stuff. Mine is different, mine is the stuff they put in all the new cookie cutter houses.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by Tizzo
HUH??

sorry.... when we ceramic tiled our kitchen, there was a gap from the new tile up to the base board. We placed a piece of qtr round to fill the gap.
I LOVE that crown!! trying to picture it in my dinning room.

T

tizzo

Crown is one of the biggest pains in the butts I can imagin, but I can give you some tips that will help out a great deal!! Tips I wish I had BEFORE i started the crown.
I got why you added QTR round, but I didn't get what you meant by the question in general...added qtr round today??
Did you add yours today?? Mine was put on when I finished my floor about a month ago. And it's plastic!! It can get wet all day and never crack chip or peal!! I try to replace all of my trim with the plastic replicas now.

T

tizzo

Nah, I did it about a month ago or so... I wish I had taken before pics, my floor was linoleum, bluish green and the cabinet was that cheap cherry imitation, real dark and the walls were white and of course no crown. Oh and I replaced the tiolets in both bathrooms.
See, I'm the "handyman", the hubby is the inspector. He's tough too, worse than any crew chief! Course, if I wasn't doing the work I'd be picky too.

crazyzeus1

Just had to chime in....nice work!!!! Wish I were so handy....
I tried to faux-finish some columns in our last houses's bathroom, & it turned out SO screwed up that I had to pay a painter $500 to fix it...oops...

T

tizzo

You have columns in your BATHROOM!!! I think SOMEbody has money, LOL!!
Did you pay him 500 to do what you were trying to do or just to fix it?? Cause you know a can of primer is only like 12 bucks...
Let's see some pics!!
Oh and for the record, every girl is, as you worded it, so handy, but most are afraid of the tools. I think females do better work than men.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by snailheave
"DomesticGoddess"
plz explain that title
All things Domestic...not all things Handy....

snailheave

Did you pay him 500 to do what you were trying to do or just to fix it?? Cause you know a can of primer is only like 12 bucks...
Let's see some pics!!
Oh and for the record, every girl is, as you worded it, so handy, but most are afraid of the tools. I think females do better work than men.
I ACTUALLY AGREE. they pay more attention to detail

bigb

My wife seemed to like my tool til we got married. Now I think she's afraid.

crazyzeus1

Let's see some pics!!
I don't have any pics of the old house. I had tried to do that crackle finish on the coluns, but it just "crackled" really small & it made it REAL rough & ugly. So they had to be sanded, primed, & repainted with oil based paint. Nothing I cared to attempt!
Now at our new house, we seemed to put columns everywhere...
In the family room:

In the master bath:

On the cabana:

And there's tons more thoughout the house.
And as far as being "Domestic"...everyone in our family painted their own picture using the same 5 colors (nobody knew what each other was making) & that became our "art" for above the fireplace...

And here's our kitchen because I deisigned it & love it...

Could I actually DO any of that building stuff myself? Heck no! I can't even hang a picture straight. I put 2 extra sets of holes in the wall trying to hang my son's window treatments...oops...